Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Timeframe Planning for Butt

Styer
Styer Posts: 25
So I will be cooking my first Boston Butt to have for dinner around 8pm on Friday. I have already picked up a 7# bone in butt. I have to work Friday though from 6am to 2pm. 

So I am trying to decide if it would be better to try and do it low and slow getting the butt in the BGE around 5am and letting it cook for the approximate 14 hours around 250*. Or my other option of trying it Turbo being able to get the butt on around 3pm at 350* and having it pulled off right at 8 and maybe eating a few mins late?

Please help or make any other suggestions.

Thanks

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited August 2013
    Unless you have a guru or you are super confident in your temp controlling ability, I would do turbo since you will be there the whole time it's in the egg. It's your first butt and we all want it to be a success.

But you also need to allow at least an hour for FTC...

Maybe just skip work on Friday???

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Styer
    Thanks @Chris, thats kinda what I was thinking. I wasn't sure if I wanted to leave my egg burning for 14 hours without me or anyone else there to make sure it doesn't go out or burn down the place. At least not for my first time.
  • porta
    porta Posts: 88
    You get off at 2 so let's assume the egg is ready at 3 to throw the butt on. TURBO is definitely the best choice, especially for your 1st attempt. It's still going to be close, butt it's doable (see what i did there). push back til 8:30 to allow for some rest time/piece of mind and you will be just fine. Post pictures or it didn't happen!
    68% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    You don't really need to rest the butt longer than the time it takes to be cool enough to pull. Any accumulated juices in the foil can be poured over the pork after pulling. 
  • Styer
    Thanks guys. Ends up I'll be going into work even earlier Friday. So that mean I will be off earlier. Looks like Turbo will be the perfect way to go as I will have even more time in the afternoon.
  • boboegg
    boboegg Posts: 46
    If you wanted to go long and slow, put it on the night before, and pull it off at 5:00 am and FTC it all day.  Warm it up an hour before dinner while still in the foil, and pull it then.  Takes all the pressure off you.  Cooking to temperature and not a specific dinner time with waiting guests is the key to success.
    LBGE, Lawrenceville, GA