Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork question

Options
How much pork would it take to feed 50 guys at the gun club? We will also have corn on the cob and a salad. 1/2 lb per person?
Pure Michigan
Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I had a party with 50 people, expecting a half pound each. I made about 30 pounds of pulled pork (pre-cooking weight) and ended up only using 1/3 of that. But I froze half of it and use it for quick dinners :) 50 people did include women and children, so that could be part of it too.

I would say 15 pounds of meat (pre-cooked weight) would be fine. 3 8-9pounders will give you plenty plus maybe some extra.
    Dunedin, FL
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Figure 40% pre-cooked weight loss.  So an 8 pound butt turns into 4.8 pounds of meat, or about 18-19 4 oz servings per butt.  Definitely need 3 butts minimum to provide one serving per person.  This is a gun club?  4 butts fer sure unless you are having some other meat also.
    The Naked Whiz
  • otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    Do you folks think I can get four on a LBGE, I have the rig and extender..?
    Pure Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    otter said:
    Yes
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I am going to try 4 butts this weekend on my large. I have done 3 on the main grid. I have the 3 tier grid so Ill put one up there. I know the top one will cook quicker for sure.

• otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    Thanks
    Pure Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'd do extra... Assuming that these guys are your friends. Always good to send some home with folks.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Yeah, a good idea to just take along a handful (or more) Ziplock plastic bags to send leftovers home with fellow gun-clubbers.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited August 2013
    Options
    otter said:
    Easy peasy.  Here's 4 butts I did using the humble grid extender.  And they all were done at the same time.

The Naked Whiz
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options

One formula often cited is to divide number of people by 2.3 to get pounds of meat needed.  But yours sounds like healthy hungry group, so divide by 2, which would be 25 pounds.  Might as well do four 9 pounders and have some left.  Here are four about that size on my adjustable rig, no problem:

• SmokinTiger81
    Options

Here is a little better photo of the 4 done:

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

One formula often cited is to divide number of people by 2.3 to get pounds of meat needed.  But yours sounds like healthy hungry group, so divide by 2, which would be 25 pounds.  Might as well do four 9 pounders and have some left.  Here are four about that size on my adjustable rig, no problem:

Im cooking for Manitoba Pork Council on Monday for a thank you lunch. 11 office people and Im giving them 2 butts. LOL.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    salad...........at a gun club
    :)) 4 butts and a big pot of beans and the corn and or some corn bread
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I did 4 at once with a raised grate.  All were done at the same time, though my egg is an XL
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY