Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Mini........kinda

Comments

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    I agree....even without the stated warranty its a hella good deal, and a lot of product. Seriously.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The little plastic turning knob for teh top vent melted off mine during my last cook. Looks like I can just put a longer bolt through and attach a metal knob. Not sure why anyone would put a plastic piece on a part where the direct heat has to leave the grill. I could have burnt th ecrap out of my hand if I would have grabbed it.
  • Gogogordy
    Is the KUB half full, or half empty?
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    Lit said:
    The little plastic turning knob for teh top vent melted off mine during my last cook. Looks like I can just put a longer bolt through and attach a metal knob. Not sure why anyone would put a plastic piece on a part where the direct heat has to leave the grill. I could have burnt th ecrap out of my hand if I would have grabbed it.
    i took that and the rubber grommet under the dome gage off when i got it, will need to make a handle. one thing ive found with the vent cover is it starts to stick after a few uses, take it off the dome and push on the spring loaded center screw from beneath and it frees right up the next time you use it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit

Yeah its not a big deal gives me a chance to customize it. Doing burgers and dogs on it tonight for 10 or so people so its gonna get another work out.

• Interesting topic here for sure. When BGE flat out voided warranties for purchases at Sam's Club or Costco most people on here said: "Righfully so!".
    Now that Vision does the same for people buying from a third party vendor, people have problems.
    Interesting twist for sure.
    New Mini is listed at $419 and the stand is $70. Yes, the craftmanship is not the same as the BGE, but the price is basically 1/7th of what BGE is.
    People are going through great lengths on a big green egg forum to acquire a competitors grill. Maybe BGE should take a hint and reevaluate their pricing.
    I bought my Mini 4 years ago and paid 243. I think msrp was 280 at that time.
  • fishlessman
    edited August 2013

StoicDude said:
    Interesting topic here for sure. When BGE flat out voided warranties for purchases at Sam's Club or Costco most people on here said: "Righfully so!". Now that Vision does the same for people buying from a third party vendor, people have problems. Interesting twist for sure. New Mini is listed at $419 and the stand is $70. Yes, the craftmanship is not the same as the BGE, but the price is basically 1/7th of what BGE is. People are going through great lengths on a big green egg forum to acquire a competitors grill. Maybe BGE should take a hint and reevaluate their pricing. I bought my Mini 4 years ago and paid 243. I think msrp was 280 at that time.
    i think theres some things you said that we will never know and some other things we will never know
    :)) how did tens of thousands of eggs get mysteriously bought up by a rogue distributor filling costcos and sams around the globe without anyone noticing at bge
    :)) how did all those eggs get sold and never a complaint here from a disastified customer with a broken base or fire box or any claim that was not covered not complain on an open forum
    :D how did one of the biggest unauthorized internet dealer in eggs throw an eggfest
    :))
    my biggest gripe though is that these manufacturers get paid for a product and take the warranty away from the consumer, now thats not right, they got paid regardless of how much the end buyer paid. if its a damage issue its between the point of sales, the shipper, and the consumer but if its a manufacturing defect it should be covered thru the manufacturer as the manufacturer already got paid.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    just starting to trick it out, found this tank end that seems to fit nicely, going to punch some holes in it around the edges on two sides were the handles on the grid are, should work as an inderect

also found a piece of aluminumm 8 inch bar stock cut about a half inch thick, maybe a pizza stone? might have something to lift that dome therm tonight

fukahwee maine

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,820
    Aviator said:
    td66snrf said:
    Just for everyone's info. Costco marked them down to $80 today. I bought the last two in the store, one to leave at my Moms, one for a friend.
    Where was this at?

La Habra.

But if you call Costco and give them the item #698886 they will tell you where they are still available

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • fishlessman
    not sure if this happens to every kub, but if you remove the firebox on mine the kub tips over backwards, just watch for that
    fukahwee maine

• Lit
    edited August 2013
    Its also not very stable in its little stand. Guess I need another carten.
  • fishlessman
    Lit said:
    not sure if the rubber bands will hold up but i slipped quarters under them til it sat level, one leg needed one quarter and another needed two
    fukahwee maine

• Gogogordy
    td66snrf said:
    Aviator said:
    td66snrf said:
    Just for everyone's info. Costco marked them down to $80 today. I bought the last two in the store, one to leave at my Moms, one for a friend.
    Where was this at?

La Habra.

But if you call Costco and give them the item #698886 they will tell you where they are still available

Santee, Chula Vista, Mo Val and they havent been marked down to $80 at any of those locations.
  • Gogogordy
    Lit said:
    I fashioned some small tethers out of 3/32" wire cable from Lowes. Total expenditure about $4.-- and didn't need to torque down too hard on them, but its rock solid now even when I move the table around the patio.
  • StoicDude said:
    Interesting topic here for sure. When BGE flat out voided warranties for purchases at Sam's Club or Costco most people on here said: "Righfully so!". Now that Vision does the same for people buying from a third party vendor, people have problems. Interesting twist for sure. New Mini is listed at $419 and the stand is $70. Yes, the craftmanship is not the same as the BGE, but the price is basically 1/7th of what BGE is. People are going through great lengths on a big green egg forum to acquire a competitors grill. Maybe BGE should take a hint and reevaluate their pricing. I bought my Mini 4 years ago and paid 243. I think msrp was 280 at that time.
    Discussions about BGE not honoring the warranty for Sam's and Costco Eggs had PLENTY of outraged people claiming BGE was stiffing customers, etc.  This isn't new.

The Naked Whiz
  • Putting this out there. I have one extra in the box. I paid $99 plus tax so $108. You pay actual shipping costs and I will send it to you. I'll also included a copy of the receipt from Costco incase you are worried about warranty. First person to reply back that they want it gets it.
  • Gogogordy
    Thats awesome! Very fine gesture.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    In New York it was 69.95 $ That's what my receipt says.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• mine came in
    Gogogordy said:
    @Gogogordy can you tell me where you got the high temp gasket for the thermometer? cheked the local hardware store and coudlnt find anything that looked like the ones you put on....thanks!
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • Gogogordy
    Either Lowes, or our local "real" hardware store...Hank's where the motto is, and they mean it " if we dont have it, you dont need it". Ill swing by there tomorrow and get some more info.
  • fishlessman
    more mods, added holes to the indirect setup "broiler plate" and did some abt's. the kub seems to be just the right size to fire up for these smaller cooks. also found some 2 inch tube for the thermo which i siliconed together so that big stem isnt taking up grid space

fukahwee maine

• Aviator
    Gogogordy said:
    Lit said:
    I fashioned some small tethers out of 3/32" wire cable from Lowes. Total expenditure about $4.-- and didn't need to torque down too hard on them, but its rock solid now even when I move the table around the patio.
    What kind of table is that? I like it and would like to get one. Where?

Chattanooga, TN.

• Gogogordy
    Aviator, I found that all aluminum, powdercoated table in the closeout aisle at Target. Asked the saleskid how much since it was devoid of any tags. He checked his computer, proclaimed it an 18x18 table and told me $7.20! Obviously I snagged it, and upon gettin it home and near my own tape-measure I measured it at 36x36! its awesome, super heavy duty and I even anchored my KUB to it and added a tool rack. I smile at the table..it's perfect and I couldnt have built one for less (well, quality-wise I could have...)
  • Mine shipped from New York yesterday, supposed to be here in a week. Making a list of stuff to do when it arrives!
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • SleepyHollow77
    SleepyHollow77 Posts: 44
    edited August 2013
    Vision helpdesk just told me its only in test markets but not sure which ones mentioned Vermont, Virginia and New York on the east coast and Cal. on the west.  I told her I was in Pittsburgh and that doesnt help me. Costco in our area said that stock # 698866 doesnt even come up.  So no option for us in Pittsburgh
  • Aviator
    So why are they on clearance at 69.95?

Chattanooga, TN.

• I guess thats not a good sign that they are on clearance guess we are SOL for our Costco to get them
  • End of the season markdown I guess.
  • Gogogordy
    mine came in
    Gogogordy said:
    @Gogogordy can you tell me where you got the high temp gasket for the thermometer? cheked the local hardware store and coudlnt find anything that looked like the ones you put on....thanks!
    OK, here's the dope on the fiber washer. It's in the little drawers any good hardware store should have, and these say "Servalite... Fiber Washers" and come in different sizes.  Also sell the same thing in the AUTOMOTIVE bins under "oil drain washers" and they are the same thing in black on the automotive aisle.

Hope that helps...