Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Turkey Breast

I am a relative newbie to the BGE (Large).  Going on 2 months now of EGGing and loving it!  Have done numerous Butts, Pork Loins, Hams, Ribs, Tri Tips and Chickens so far, all with great sucess.  Having said that, I received a special request this past weekend from SWMBO, for a Smoked Turkey Breast. Had not done of those on the BGE yet, so read all I could on this forum and went with this: 300 - 325, Indirect, apple juice in a disposable aluminum water pan and apple chunks for smoke.  On the Breast, which was 8.5 lbs, did a 24 hour brine of apple juice, maple syrup, kosher salt and brown sugar, then rinsed, dried and rubbed with a "Simon and Garfunkel" Rub(Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme) about 2 hours prio to cooking.

I anticipated about 30 minutes per pound, so about a 4 hour cook was what I expected.  In the middle of the yard work the Maverick starts beeping at the 2 hour mark!  I was surprised and also concerned that SWMBO was not back from the store with the rest of the turkey fixins yet.  Had no choiced but to FTC it for a couple hours.  I have to say, it was pretty awesome and SWMBO loved it(always good to keep SWMBO happy!!).

I am no expert on this forum yet, but I have learned enough to know that "No pics = no proof".  But, I am still wrestling with posting pics, so if this sucks, I promise to study harder for next time.  Here's a couple pics(I hope!):

photo Turkeybreast2_zps2859d028.jpgphoto Turkeybreast1_zps4bda47ee.jpg

Comments