Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

New XL vs. Old XL

cookingdude555cookingdude555 Posts: 913
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum

Hey everyone, with the new redesign of the XL, were the fire ring with notches and the taller dome the only changes?  Were there any changes to the firebox or the base?  I am having issues getting a platesetter to fit.  The mothership sent me a new fire ring with notches, and its the same issue, the dome wont shut with the grid on the setter.

I am wondering if in the redesign the firebox got shorter, or the base got taller, or both?

Any help is much appreciated!

John - SLC, UT

Webers, Eggs, Bubba Keg, Smokin-It #3

·

Comments

• If anyone with the new XL give me the height of the firebox, and the base, I guess that would answer my questions. Thanks!

John - SLC, UT

·
  • radamoradamo Posts: 355
    Here are some measurements on the CGS website:

Does that help you?

Long Island, NY
    ·
  • radamo said:
    Here are some measurements on the CGS website:

Does that help you?

Thanks Rad! I did see that already, but that doesn't tell me the whole story. I am specifically wanting to see the firebox height, and the base height. I am going to call the mother ship tomorrow again and see what I can figure out. But I am impatient and trying too see what I can find out from a current xl that is from the new stock to compare against mine.

John - SLC, UT

·
  • radamoradamo Posts: 355
    I can't get the measurements for you until the weekend.  If you still don't have them let me know.

Long Island, NY
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    edited August 2013
    My XL firebox height is barely under 9" and base height measured from inside bottom to felt is 16".

Here's an old post in which the firebox is reported to be 1" shorter. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/594122/redesigned-xl-bge
    So what's the height of your firebox?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • JayHawkEyeJayHawkEye Posts: 191
    I guess I'm confused. How old are we talking? And how new are the changes?
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
    ·
  • R2Egg2Q said:
    My XL firebox height is barely under 9" and base height measured from inside bottom to felt is 16".

Here's an old post in which the firebox is reported to be 1" shorter. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/594122/redesigned-xl-bge
    So what's the height of your firebox?
    Thanks for that. I will check it tomorrow morning and report back 

John - SLC, UT

·
  • I have an old XL with the squat dome. A while back I became worried before I ordered  a new fire ring and plate setter. I called big green egg direct and they told me the new style fire ring with the notches and the new style plate setter will work with the old dome style. They also told me the old style plate setter with the shorter legs are still available...but the old style fire ring is not.
    I bought my plate setter at a dealer and discovered it didn't fit. I called bge and we worked out a deal for a fire ring. I was told it would work with the setter, but its the same situation and the dome won't shut. I am starting to think its the firebox that is more the issue. I just wanted a basic indirect with the PS, but I may need to come up with another solution. 

John - SLC, UT

·
  • I guess I'm confused. How old are we talking? And how new are the changes?
    My XL is about three years old. It was shortly after that the ring, box, and dome were changed. 

John - SLC, UT

·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    I believe word of a "new design" started circulating in 2009 but they didn't start appearing on the market until early 2010 and depending on how quickly distributors & dealers turned inventory, maybe a little later. Here's a post when one dealer started getting the new version in 2010: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/874489/2010-vs-2009-xl-compared
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·