Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need to repair medium egg lid band

I have an older egg, I guess.  I bought a medium off CL a couple years ago for $75.  Yes, stealth gloat.  Anyway, the hinge mechanism that holds the lid to the base has broken on both sides.  It seems that the hinge holds up the lid with friction--no spring.  The rivets rusted out.  I was running with just one broken hinge for a couple of weeks.  When the second one broke, I actually opened the lid too far and the porcelain cap fell off and broke.  I do have the older style metal damper, though, but it's so-so for controlling heat.

Anyway, any ideas on how I can repair the hinge to band connection?  Seems like a new spring assisted band is going to be ~$125 after shipping.  I guess I got a good deal on the egg, but seems outrageous to pay that much for the band.  I was thinking about doing my own pop rivets, but I'm concerned the rivet on the back side of the band would break the porcelain shell.

Comments

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    edited August 2013
    A picture would be helpful, but....high grade bolts, nuts, lock washers. Stainless would be my preference and an occasional drop of oil on them.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I would go ahead and get the new band. You will be in 200 bucks but that is still less than 1/3 the price of a new medium.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    If the ceramics are good, replace the whole band/hinge assembly - well worth it.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited August 2013

You will like a new spring assisted band once you install it.

Spend the money and enjoy life with your Egg.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• atgcpaul
    atgcpaul Posts: 29
    The metal hinge sticking up used to be joined to the side of the lid--where you see that little flat rust area.  Yes, I realize I could buy a new band, but then it would feel like much less of a bargain.

My thinking was to remove the bands, drill out the old rivets, and put new ones in place.  My concern is that there may be no molded divot where the band touches the egg and the point pressure of the rivet when i tighten the band would crack the egg.   I guess in that case, $125 wouldn't be a bad deal.
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Youll never know if there a recess until you remove it, something youll need to do either way. Were it me, Id disassemble, evaluate and if I could find appropriate rivets or (preferably) lo-profile fasteners Id then refurbish (re-paint) and repair keeping it true to its vintage. And I guarantee you, its perfectly fixable if youre of a mind to.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I have an old style medium that I will happily give you if you want to pay for shipping. It works fine I just stepped up to the spring loaded one. The way the old style works is when you open it up all the way the arm go straight then you pull them towards you which locks it open. I actually have two large hinges from when I upgraded my old Imperial kamados to spring hinges if anyone needs one. My wife would appreciate you taking them.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • atgcpaul
    td66snrf, PM sent.  Thank you.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821

Paul,

You have mail.

TD

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • atgcpaul
    Thanks to member td66snrf, the egg is as good as new!

Anyone who wants a lid band that fits a medium egg, let me know.  You can have it for the cost of shipping.  You do have to repair the band first, though.  Seems like the back of the rivet is not flush to the band and just presses on the surface of the egg.  There are no indentations there.

Paul