Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to buy ????

Hi

I am new to this forum and I am very excited about the lively conversations.   I really want to learn how to cook with a smoker.  A couple of years ago, I was in Kansas City and had some fabulous KC style ribs.  I want to learn how to do them for myself or a brisket that just falls apart.   I have done lots of research and am convinced that a BGE is the way to go.   Now for my dilemma - Do I buy a Large or an X-Large?     From what I have been hearing, most people work quite happily with a Large but I want to be sure.  We entertain regularly but the groups are usually relatively small with 2 or 3 couples.  I also have my Weber Summit what can do the veggies or burgers for the kids while the adult meal is doing its thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Brian  

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710

Welcome aboard. I think a large will fit your needs. As soon as you buy egg.. buy yourself a thermopen, welding gloves, rib rack, platesetter, then head to walmart to stock up on Royal Oak lump (buy 4 bags to start). Lighting your egg: Buy a small bottle of rubbing alcohol and also firestarters (try each to see which you like best); if you don't like those two options, you can look into a looflighter or some other torch after. That will get you started!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    There are as many opinions on your question as there are BGE owners.  I have 2 XLs and have never regreted my purchases.  I use one every day and both 2 to 3 times per week.  I normally cook for 2 but have had parties with 40 and more people.  I have heard very few people complain about having the extra grate area and the XL doesn't use much more charcoal than a large - I've compared usage with a buddy of mine that has a large, (did the same meals at the same temp), and we got the same number of cooks out of a 20 pound bag - the difference was I didn't have to add charcoal or clean out the ash as often.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    I have a large and will agree that it is plenty big enough to cook for 8-10 people and more, depending on what your are making.  It can fit multiple racks of ribs, dozens of pounds of pork for pulling, a 20 lb turkey, etc.  Of course, the XL can handle that much and more. Decision is yours, of course.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209

I say ...themapen,welding gloves, platesetter and fire starter blocks and an electric lighter(the blocks are for power failure only). I have a rib rack but rarely use it. You gonna want some wood too. I suggest chunks.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I suggest getting a large with accessories unless your budget can afford an Xl with accessories. I just got an adjustable rig, and I would suggest spending the extra cash on getting that instead of a platesetter. Between that, a thermapen, and a maverick, you're probably at the cost of an XL. But if you're budgetless, that's a different sorry.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited August 2013
    It all comes down to your budget. No matter which one you get, you will love it. Of course I say get an XL so that when you get a second XL, you already have the accessories. :D

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Love my XL. Most often I'm cooking for only two, but I love having the room when I cook for 30-60 (about 3-4 times per year). It works great for both of those scenarios. 

I do not have a plate setter, and couldn't be happier with the Adjustable Rig and Woo combo plus pizza stone from Ceramic Grill Store. Adds incredible flexibility to the XL, and let's me adjust how I cook to what I'm cooking. 

Welding gloves have been the best accessory for the money I could imagine. To me they're a must.

Save your money on the starters and use a paper towel doused with left over cooking oil, works perfect every time.

Good luck and welcome. Really great group of folks here.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    As @Chris_Wang said it all comes down to budget.  There are a ton of people that are happy with every size egg that they have, it just depends on your typical cook and how many you have to serve.  I have a Large a Medium and a Small.  My Medium is on the deck off of the kitchen and is my everyday Egg.  The Large was my first egg and is probably the most versatile as far as having the most accessories.  The small is my traveling Egg and my little cooker for the kids.

That being said, probably going to get a mini when the taxes come back this year.  I'd love to have a XL but that might have to be a big time birthday or anniversary gift ten years down the line.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

They say "Money can't buy you love." but obviously they never had an XL BGE.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• brmeeke
    brmeeke Posts: 2

Thanks everyone for the feedback.   Sounds like there is no "wrong" choice here.   If my budget will let me, I am going to go for the XL but most likely I will go with the Large.  

I agree with the Thermapen and the other items that you suggested but would have never thought about the Welding Gloves.   What a great idea.  

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Welcome and go get it done. You will love the egg. I have a MBGE and cook for as many as 8 adults at one time, but most of the time it is just SWMBO and myself. The XL uses more fuel than the large for the same size cook, there is a reduction ring for it - look to owners to advise if it works. 
    Keep the gasser, the side burner is invaluable and it is the greatest warming oven, overflow cooking area you will ever had. We often do veggies on the gasser, depending on what is smoking on the egg. SWMBO is not keen on smoke flavour on most veggies. 
    If you have power near your egg station, consider an electric starter. Very easy to use. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    +1 on the electric starter.  The only time it doesn't work like a champ is when you forget to plug it in!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    I asked the same question on this forum about a year ago. Bottom line is you will be happy with either the large or XL. I ended up with an XL and really like it. I have the same reccomendations: Thermapen, indirect setup (I have a platesetter, but like the idea of a woo and stone) welders gloves etc.

More importantly once you get your egg, cook... Cook alot! try new recipes and techniques, have fun, relax, ask questions & don't sweat the failures.

Welcome to the party!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    um, you can make enough pulled pork on a large to feed 60 or 70 people, so you will be able to do what your wanting to do with a large, then add a mini for when theres just two thick pork chops or strip steaks etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

Start with a large.  I say that somewhat tongue-in-cheek.  Dropping a grand on a grill might sound a bit steep to someone outside the Egg circle.  Buying more than one seems downright absurd.  But, a year after getting my large, I'm in the market for a mini Egg.  Who woulda thunk it? 

My advice for must-have accessories are an adjustable rig and a Thermapen.  Beyond that, you can make some pretty fantastic dishes in a cast iron skillet. 

Cook to temp, not time.  Burp your egg before you open it wide, especially on high temp cooks.  Wear welders gloves, and finally, document your cooks!  Take pictures, take notes, and post your successes and failures here.  The food is good, but the community is the best.

Welcome aboard!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE