Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Denver and Dallas area Eggers

Mrs. TOTN and I will be driving down to the Denver area next week for my daughter's wedding and then heading over to the Dallas area the following week to visit family. We'll be in the Lone Tree area in Colorado and Garland (Campbell and Bush Tollway). I'd appreciate any feedback on good stores to visit for egg-related shopping while I'm down that way. I'm particularly interested in picking up some oak and pecan wood to bring back north with me but would also like to look at eggcessories that I might be able to get down there for less than they cost up here. Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Hirsch's Meat Market in Plano (pretty close to where you will be) has all kinds of crazy types of wood. Just grab a bag and take however much you want of each kind. Better yet, get a few bags and label them to keep them seperate. Don't know what you pay up there, but Elliot's Hardware has Egg stuff including Ozark Oak, but not at the great price that the traveling door to door egghead gets it for. They used to sponsor the Plano Eggfest. Another place is Gold Medal Pools in Frisco.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

+1 On Elliots Hardware in Plano, as @Griffin said its not the cheapest but they have Ozark Oak and last time I was in they had Komodo Coconut Charcoal, also the have a nice selection of Dizzy Pig.

You can also check out Jacksons over by Love Field. Very nice selection but a little pricy as well. I think Ozark Oak was 9 Bucks or something.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Ruffs BBQ on about I 70 and Colfax in Denver has a great wood selection.  Chunks and logs.  I drive an hour to shop at Ruffs.
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414

There's a really nice egghead business in Lone Tree.  He stocks all the DP's and has most, if not all, of the eggcessories offered from BGE and some others like the looftlighter

http://www.bigtoolbox.com/

He's in Englewood which is like 10  miles north of Lone Tree

Really?  This store is 5 minutes from my house and I still drive to Ruffs.  I don't find the big tool box to have anything else the local ace hardware stores have.  maybe im missing something?  Ruffs has 8-10 types of lump/charcoal and 10-12 different smoke woods. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2013
    Have a good trip and enjoy the family time. 
    Be aware that our Canuckistan Border Services Agency just might deny entry of smoke wood. Depends on the mood of the agent on the day you return. 
    Smoke wood, chip or chunk, is considered the same as firewood. Briquettes and lump are OK as they are processed at high heat for enough time to be considered kiln dried. My dealer in Bellingham Wa, Chris123stock (haven't seen him post in awhile) advised he had firewood denied entry on a camping trip to Canada. A number of BBQ friends have also advised that CBSA denied entry of US Hickory chunks. ($9 at Lowe's USA, $14 at Lowe's Canada)
    Here is a link CBSA referred me to:
    Good Luck.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited August 2013
    Griff said: "but not at the great price that the traveling door to door egghead gets it for".... But Griff, that guy is hijacking OO trucks  =))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Congrats and best wishes for your daughter's wedding, safe travel!
    canuckland
  • COegger
    COegger Posts: 58
    busmania said:

There's a really nice egghead business in Lone Tree.  He stocks all the DP's and has most, if not all, of the eggcessories offered from BGE and some others like the looftlighter

http://www.bigtoolbox.com/

He's in Englewood which is like 10  miles north of Lone Tree

Really?  This store is 5 minutes from my house and I still drive to Ruffs.  I don't find the big tool box to have anything else the local ace hardware stores have.  maybe im missing something?  Ruffs has 8-10 types of lump/charcoal and 10-12 different smoke woods. 
    Agree - Ruffs is a bbq store vs. The Big Toolbox which is an Ace.  Ruffs is great for lump and smoking woods as mentioned.  Also a ton of rubs and sauces.  If you are looking for BGE accessories call ahead.  Once when I was hoping to pick up a table nest, they wouldn't be able to get it to the store until the next day.  Too far of a drive for me to go back so I just ordered from my local Ace which took forever and a lot of hassle to get.  May have been worth the drive back to Ruffs.
  • A good place for wood is Arnold Brothers Forest Products in Irving. It's about 28 miles from Garland. They list the prices on their website http://www.abfpinc.com/ They are cheaper then any BBQ/Hardware store around me.
    XL BGE, Medium BGE, 36" Blackstone, UDS, Red Weber Kettle & LSG Large IVS
    Keller, TX
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    I bought my Egg at Big Tool Box - great folks and dedicated eggers. There is a Lehrers patio and fireplace store about a mile south that has a halfway decent selection of eggcessories as well. Ruffs will have a better selection overall of smoking woods for sure. BTB sells BGE lump and Cowboy, butifya asktheowner will tell you it sucks...Lehrers has BGE and Wicked Good on hand, maybe one other,can't recall. WGWW is about the same price as BGE lump.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    If you want to try a bag of Rockwood I'd sell ya one that STL BBQ shipped us for $17.00 I'm about a mile from the Big Tool Box which is about 3 or 4 miles from the furthest point in Lonetree...
  • Have a good trip and enjoy the family time. 
    Be aware that our Canuckistan Border Services Agency just might deny entry of smoke wood. Depends on the mood of the agent on the day you return. 
    Smoke wood, chip or chunk, is considered the same as firewood. Briquettes and lump are OK as they are processed at high heat for enough time to be considered kiln dried. My dealer in Bellingham Wa, Chris123stock (haven't seen him post in awhile) advised he had firewood denied entry on a camping trip to Canada. A number of BBQ friends have also advised that CBSA denied entry of US Hickory chunks. ($9 at Lowe's USA, $14 at Lowe's Canada)
    Here is a link CBSA referred me to:
    Good Luck.
    Thanks for the info @Skiddymarker. I'll probably take my chances on the wood. Have driven across the border many times and always tell customs (on either side) exactly what we have; including wood chunks about 3 years ago. 

The only time I've ever had a problem was with a 20# bag of PEI potatoes that we were taking down for a Christmas visit. I think we paid $5 for them at Sobey's. When I told the US customs agent we had the bag of potatoes he asked where they were from. I was told if they had been from anywhere but PEI I would have been allowed to bring them into the US but, as they were from PEI, I had to surrender them.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • Thanks @Fred19Flintstone (Bob)! We should be driving by beautiful Flint., MI mid-morningish on Monday. I'll honk the horn to say hello.

TIP: When you exit the interstate, the guy standing on the side of the exit ramp is not from the Chamber of Commerce welcoming you. He is a hobo.
    Flint, Michigan