Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook: burgers

Options
I decided on simple plain old hamburgers. 80/20 ground beef, sautéed diced onions mixed in and salt/ pepper. I learned yesterday and from reading on here that its easier to get the temp up than down, so I got it up to about 400 and let it ride for about an hour waiting on my wife to get home. Grilled them direct not raised for about 20 minutes. Which was about 5 too long. Oh well. They turned out ok. Had a very smokey flavor, and I don't think she (wife) was very pleased. But at least I'm not a virgin anymore! Maybe I'll attempt the spatchcock chicken next...

Oh and sorry about the sideways pics.
Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 

Comments

• Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    Options
    BEEF, its whats for dinner. Good show, burgers do cook very fast. You'll get it.
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Suggest if you spatchcock - the first one or two, do them indirect at 400º. Make sure you have a drip pan raised off the setter with an air gap to avoid any burning drippings. More forgiving set-up. The skin will not be as crispy, but the chicken will be great. No acrid taste from drips in case the bird is fatty and do not use any smoke wood. The smoke from RO or BGE lump is just fine. Put the feet to the rear, the egg is often hotter there, cook to 155 breast and around 170 leg/thigh. 
    Good luck. Burgers look OK to me, or maybe it is your choice of beer.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Burgers were one of the more difficult cooks to master on the Egg. Once you get it, they are fantastic. Spatchcock chicken will win the wife over. Just wait til the smoke smells good before putting it on.
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I used to cook burgers at 350-400. Now I crank it up to ~550-600, 4-6 minutes a side (no pink). They turn out great! Sometimes I will throw a few mesquite or hickory chips on to get a more smokey flavor.  Anything is better than that "fuel-oil" flavor of briquettes. 
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I always recommend burgers. It's true they're not the easiest cook, but I've never had a burger from the egg that was not significantly better than any burger from a gas grill. It's the delta that matters.

Cheers, and welcome aboard.
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    The Smoke flavor was likely caused by putting them on too early.  Make sure you have clear smoke prior to adding meat.
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Jeremaih said he had the egg going for an hour before cooking.  Surely that would be enough time to burn off the VOC's.  Maybe it's that funky taste some people have reported on their maiden cook.  Just a thought.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• SpanishMoon
    Options
    I did burgers this weekend as my 2nd cook (got my egg for my bday last Monday night).  I had a little bit of trouble keeping the temp stable and thought I had overcooked them.  According to the thermapin they should have been closer medium well or well done but they were still very juicy and tasty.  I just rubbed them with a little bit of dizzy pig and worcheshire.  If they were that tasty when I didn't really have a clue what I was doing, I can't wait to see what I can pull off when I actually learn how to use the egg properly.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I am not a big fan of worcester sauce on my burger.  just sayin...