Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

First Turkey Breast

I am a relative newbie to the BGE (Large).  Going on 2 months now of EGGing and loving it!  Have done numerous Butts, Pork Loins, Hams, Ribs, Tri Tips and Chickens so far, all with great sucess.  Having said that, I received a special request this past weekend from SWMBO, for a Smoked Turkey Breast. Had not done of those on the BGE yet, so read all I could on this forum and went with this: 300 - 325, Indirect, apple juice in a disposable aluminum water pan and apple chunks for smoke.  On the Breast, which was 8.5 lbs, did a 24 hour brine of apple juice, maple syrup, kosher salt and brown sugar, then rinsed, dried and rubbed with a "Simon and Garfunkel" Rub(Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme) about 2 hours prio to cooking.

I anticipated about 30 minutes per pound, so about a 4 hour cook was what I expected.  In the middle of the yard work the Maverick starts beeping at the 2 hour mark!  I was surprised and also concerned that SWMBO was not back from the store with the rest of the turkey fixins yet.  Had no choiced but to FTC it for a couple hours.  I have to say, it was pretty awesome and SWMBO loved it(always good to keep SWMBO happy!!).

I am no expert on this forum yet, but I have learned enough to know that "No pics = no proof".  But, I am still wrestling with posting pics, so if this sucks, I promise to study harder for next time.  Here's a couple pics(I hope!):

photo Turkeybreast2_zps2859d028.jpgphoto Turkeybreast1_zps4bda47ee.jpg

Comments