Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two More Hatch Chile Cooks

Options

These are probably the last two I'll do for awhile. Sunday, I cooked up a batch of Hatch Chile Pork Stew. Not sure if it was traditional, just kind od cobbled together a few recipes. Used 5 mild and 4 hot Hatch and 3 serranos, some tomatillos, 3lbs of pork, two onions, some cilantro and a few other things. Some parts got cooked on the Egg and some got cooked inside (boiling water is best done indoors)

Roasted the chilies and peppers

Browned the pork

Dumped it all in a dutch oven and onto the Egg it went, 350F and hung out for close to two hours

Served it up with a cold beer and garnished with Cotija cheese, sour cream, cilantro, tortilla strips and a lime. Also had some fresh Hatch flour tortillas on the side.

Last night, Mrs. G wanted a burger and happy wife = happy life, not to mention I like burgers.

Took some of the leftover stew from Sunday, pulled the pork out of it and put it on the burger along with some Havarti cheese.

Pretty darn tasty, but messy burger.

The butcher at Central Market told me they are wrapping up Hatch Chile on Wednesday. I'm ok with that, ready to move onto something else, but I do have three lbs at home that I need to roast and freeze to get me through the rest of the year. Guess I know what I am doing after work. :)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    You sir are a master. ^:)^  Really awesome job Griffin.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    six_egg said:
    You sir are a master. ^:)^  Really awesome job Griffin.

+1.  And I can't think of a better beer to pair with a hatch chili stew than Negra Modelo.  Great choice.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    I had looked for my recipe and couldn't find it but I knew you could figure it out. Sure enough you did, the secret is the Tomatillos. I think I did some Cilantro also in it. But of well yours looks awesome.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    Absolutely fantastic.  Really hungry now.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Hope you put some cumin in that stew too; cumin and green chile just belong together!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• clintmiller
    Options
    I did almost the exact same recipe on Sunday (all done in a dutch oven on the egg). I love the idea of using the leftover sauce on hamburgers. I had been thinking of doing some dish with hatch peppers and hamburgers next weekend...

3 lbs cubed pork loin
    1/8 cup vegetable oil
    1 yellow onion
    3 cloves garlic minced
    1/2 tablespoon sea salt 
    1/2 to taste fresh ground pepper, to taste
    1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 quart chicken broth (4 cups)
    6 mild hatch peppers
    2 hot hatch peppers
    1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    2 pounds fresh tomatillos, husks removed
    1/2 cup cilantro leaf, coarsely chopped

Directions:

1 In dutch oven, sear the pork in the vegetable oil until browned.

2 Remove the pork from the pot, reserve 3 tablespoons oil in the pan.

3 Saute the chopped onion and garlic seasoned with salt and pepper in the reserved oil until onions are tender.

4 Add the cumin, then stir in pork and chicken stock.

5 Simmer for 1/2 hour.

6 Add in hatch peppers.

7 Puree the tomatillos and cilantro in a blender, and add them to the pot.

8 Cook for an additional 45 minutes.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Lets get the outstanding cook out of the way...... Now, what do you do with all the food you cook? There is only the two of you, do you have 6 freezers in the back room?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Amazing cook! Loved it!!! Thanks for sharing.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    @Griffin
    I saw this post and told the Mrs to go get more Hatch.  Thanks for that.
    Do you peel the chilies before you freeze them and do you vacuum pack them?
    Thanks in advance
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    Holy Crap that burger looks great, excellent cook - wanna share the recipe?
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Logger said:
    @Griffin
    Do you peel the chilies before you freeze them...?
    I'm not Griffin but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.  
    I buy freshly-roasted green chile by the bushel, every year or two, and I've frozen them both ways, peeled and unpeeled.  Peeling a bushel of roasted chile is an all-afternoon affair, your hands will initially be burning and then go numb, and if you take a leak during the process you will jump into the shower, screaming, with your clothes on (trust me on this).  
    One August I got lazy, and just froze them unpeeled (I normally put 5 or 6 chiles in a small Ziplok bag for freezing; one bag is good for Huevos Rancheros for a 3-day weekend, and two bags is good for a pot of chile verde or green chile stew).  Peeling 5 or 6 chiles at once is minimal effort, but I tend to rinse the seeds out in the sink, which may wash some of the juices away (doing the whole bushel at once, I normally am sitting at the table and wipe the seeds out with my fingers, conserving some juice, but not really noticeable).  
    Either way works, and I can't really tell a difference.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Both meals looks great =P~

I haven't gotten around to pick up some but that stew will need to be made soon. Last year the batch we got was so hot I was one of the only ones that could even stand it.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

@six_egg and @Foghorn thanks, guys. Negra Modelo just seemed like the most obvious choice. I've got a cerveza brewing right now. Going to bottle either this weekend or next week. Hope it comes out as good. Looks about the same color.

@TUTTLE871 thanks for nothing. Just kidding. We need to get together and grab a beer soon.

@Botch but of course there was cumin. Could have used a bit more IMHO, though.

@Mickey - I take a lot of leftovers to work. I'm in the middle of nowhere (Sunnyvale, TX) and it would take at least 15 minutes to drive to the nearest place which would be McDonalds and that's not worth it to me. So I eat left over Egged food which is way better.

@Logger - this is my first time freezing them (first time ever using them, never tried them before this year), but everything I read said to peel them and take the seeds out. I guess I could have vac sealed them, but Central Market had zip-lock type bags right next to the chiles that had instructions and everything printed out on them, so I just used them. I put about 2 chilies in each bag.

@Aquacop - not much to tell about the burger. Fresh ground chuck, formed into 6oz patties, salt and pepper and a bit of woosey sauce on top before grilling at 500F. Melted on the Havarti cheese and then spooned out some of the leftover Hatch Chile Pork Stew (minus the pork) on top. Very messy, was running down my hands and arms while eating.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings