Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ chicken

Options
Cooked some chicken breasts, raised direct, 450*F, with just a touch of apple wood.  After browning the outside, basted the breasts with homemade mustard sauce (we call it "Carolina Gold").  Topped with some cheese, and served with quinoa pilaf (red onion, squash, zucchini, and carrot) and roasted broccoli (salt, pepper, oil, red pepper flakes).  Nice and simple, although I let the Egg temp get away from me because I was watching Kirk Cousins hurt his foot, leaving Rex Grossman, again, atop the depth chart for my beloved 'Skins.  Gah.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.

Comments

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    MMMMMmmmmm tell us more, like, you know, recipe kind of stuff. All looks super!. 

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    Yup, I would really like to know how to make that mustard sauce.  Looks great.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    @Springram:  Thanks!  I think I can help you with some recipe stuff:

The mustard sauce
    is a closely guarded secret...

...that I will now reveal to you, because I'm cool like that.

2 cups prepared yellow mustard
    2/3 cup cider vinegar
    3 tablespoons ketchup
    1/2 teaspoon hot sauce of choice
    3/4 cup turbinado sugar
    1 cube chicken or herb bouillon
    2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves
    1 teaspoon celery seed
    3 teaspoons mustard powder
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Assemble all ingredients in a Mason jar, making sure that the bouillon and sugar are not in clumps before adding.  Shake the jar like mad for as long as your forearms can stand it, give it to your spouse to shake until they can't do it anymore, either, and then either pass the job off to the kids, or just shake it more yourself.  You will have no use for a Shake Weight if you make this sauce regularly.  If you make this sauce enough, people will assume that you are some kind of farmer, because your forearms will be gigantic.  

Let the sauce sit in the refrigerator overnight before use.

For the pilaf:

2 cups quinoa
    1 Tbsp. butter
    1 Tbsp. oil
    1 pinch salt
    1 tsp. Adobo seasoning
    1 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
    1 tsp. cumin
    1 tsp. granulated garlic
    1/2 large (or one small) zucchini, finely diced
    1/2 large (or one small) yellow squash, finely diced
    Two carrots, shredded and then finely chopped
    1/2 red onion, finely diced
    3 cups water

Rinse the quinoa in a fine sieve until the water runs clear.  Set aside.  Heat the butter and oil in a large sauce or saute pan.  Add the salt, Adobo, pepper, cumin, and garlic and stir for a few seconds.  Add the zucchini, squash, carrot, and onion.  Saute for a few minutes, stirring, until onions turn translucent.  Add the quinoa and continue to saute for about 1-2 minutes.  Some of the quinoa may brown a bit; this is fine.  Add the water, stir well, and bring to a boil.  Cover and reduce to a simmer until quinoa is cooked through (that is, until the grains are mostly translucent except for the small circle of germ on each one), about 20 minutes.  Remove from heat, fluff, and allow to sit for a few minutes before serving.  

NOTES:  This recipe makes A LOT of pilaf - enough for it to be a side dish at a large family meal.  This recipe is also subtle on the spice flavors.  When I eat it by itself (say, for breakfast this morning), I usually pop on a few dashes of fish sauce and Cholula.

For the broccoli:

2 stems of broccoli, trimmed and cut (we use the florets and the stalk)
    1-2 Tbsp. olive oil (we use a sprayer for even coating)
    Salt
    Pepper
    Red pepper flakes

Combine all.  Roast at 400*F about 20-25 minutes, turning once.

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    I love this forum because of the willingness for people to share recipes that have been handed down.  Thanks for the mustard sauce.  I will make this today.  Anything besides chicken that you recommend this to use with?
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    @dweebs0r:  Agreed - people here are so generous with their methods and recipes.

My wife loves this sauce on pulled pork.  I'm primarily a Carolina vinegar sauce guy when it comes to pork, but I can see her point of view on this one - especially if you've been liberal with hickory smoke.  It's also pretty darn good on grilled zukes and squash.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks great- and awesome sounding recipe! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.