Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Need to repair medium egg lid band

I have an older egg, I guess.  I bought a medium off CL a couple years ago for $75.  Yes, stealth gloat.  Anyway, the hinge mechanism that holds the lid to the base has broken on both sides.  It seems that the hinge holds up the lid with friction--no spring.  The rivets rusted out.  I was running with just one broken hinge for a couple of weeks.  When the second one broke, I actually opened the lid too far and the porcelain cap fell off and broke.  I do have the older style metal damper, though, but it's so-so for controlling heat.

Anyway, any ideas on how I can repair the hinge to band connection?  Seems like a new spring assisted band is going to be ~$125 after shipping.  I guess I got a good deal on the egg, but seems outrageous to pay that much for the band.  I was thinking about doing my own pop rivets, but I'm concerned the rivet on the back side of the band would break the porcelain shell.

Comments