Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Burger formation question.

Hello all. So I am doing burgers for some friends tomorrow. I want to wow them yet perfect burgers continue to escape me on the egg. I have 2 pounds of 80/20 ground meat. I like my burgers larger as far as circumference is concerned but thinner as far as thickness is concerned. Every time I get them formed and cook them they shrink up and don't even fill the bun. Does anyone use a binder like an egg or bread crumbs to keep the patty together with a thinner approach? Any and all guidance welcome.
·

Comments

• I don't use a binder, but I do find putting a nice big simple in the middle seems to help them stay in shape a little better and not ball up. Good luck, hope it works out great. I think burgers are one thing where the egg really excels.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • fljoemonfljoemon Posts: 578
    I have The Perfect Burger Press (http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-International-Perfect-Burger-Press/dp/B00440D0LS/). For your criterion of larger circumference this will definitely help, plus it automatically puts a dimple in the middle of the burger using the dimple insert. This helps the burger not puffing up like a meatball.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
    ·
  • rholtrholt Posts: 368
    Thanks for the responses guys. I have been dimpling but not well enough I guess. I will look into that burger press for sure.
    ·
  • I too use burger press (http://www.amazon.com/Weston-Non-Stick-Single-Hamburger-Press/dp/B0002HBIAW/ref=cm_cr-mr-title).  I have had GREAT results with it.  I like it because you can fine tune the size (thickness not diameter) of the patty.  Never had a need for dimpling with this press.  It's a little on the expensive side, but its very sturdy.  I now actually enjoy making patties!
    ·
  • Use smaller buns!  ;)

How many patties are you making out of 2 lbs. of meat? I usually use no less than 1/3 pound per patty; never use any type of binder.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    For 2 pounds of beef I would add 2 eggs, worcestershire sauce, chopped bacon, bbq sauce and bread crumbs.

·
  • wallyjarwallyjar Posts: 123
    I grind and blend fresh meet and I am always amazed how little shrinkage there s when I make my own.

I have mixed sirloin, chuck and boneless country ribs.
    Also, brisket, chuck and ribs.

No binders needed, very moist and does not shrink.

Actually a lot of fun too.

·
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,519
    If you have HEB (Texas grocery store chain) get their premade Cowboy burgers. The last two times I have done that my wife has spontaneously commented "That is the best burger I have ever had in my life." I had to agree. They are over 1/2 pound each and shrink very little.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
  • rholtrholt Posts: 368
    Thanks guys. Te burgers turned out alright. Not amazing by any means. Just added a little worster with some Montreal steak. Still need to hammer out the details.
    image.jpg 2.1M
    ·