Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hatch Chile Lime Wings

I love wings so much, it just seemed natural to see if I could somehow incorporate Hatch Chilies into them. Looked around the internet for awhile, but I couldn't for the life of me find a recipe that included Hatch and wings. Found a few that used green chilies, but not Hatch. So I took one and used it as a base to come up with my own recipe.

First thing was to roast the chilies and peppers at 500F on the Mini to get them all charred up.

The chilies and peppers were then skinned, deveined and deseeded and tossed in a food processor along with the rest of the ingredients for a marinade. Wings got marinated for about 3 hours. Then I removed the wings from the marinade and brought it to a boil for ten minutes so I could use it as a baste while the wings cooked. The Egg was set up for a raised direct cook at 400F.

I grilled the wings for about 30 minutes, basting them every 5 minutes. And of course, when I have wings, I usually have tots. I thought of you guys as I cooked them, @Dyal_SC and @Eggcelsior and @henapple in particular.

All I can say is WOW!

Those were some good wings, easily landing in my top 5. Not too spicy, just a bit of a burn on the lips, but the fresh squuezed limes really made it unique. Gonna have to make these again. I just hope that if I use Anaheim peppers once Hatch Chile season is over that they will be just as good. Oh...and sorry about the tease post on Friday. Some people should just not drink and get on the forum...

Ingredients

• 5 Hatch Chilies (I suppose you could use Anaheim if Hatch isn’t available), roasted, skinned, de-veined and de-seeded
  • 2 jalapenos, roasted, de-veined and de-seeded
  • 3/4 cup of freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 2 Tbsp paprika
  • 1 Tbsp McCormick’s Grill Mates Lemon Pepper with Herbs
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1Tbsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 2.5 lbs chicken wings

Toss everything in a food processor, but the wings, then let marinate. I went 3 hours as that was all the time I had, longer would probably be bettter and hotter. Remove wings, reserve marinade. Bring marinade to a boil, reduce and let simmer for 10 minutes. Grill wings 400F raised direct for about 30 minutes, basting and turning every 5. Serve with TATER TOTS. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Awesome

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Griffin said:

Toss everything in a food processor, but the wings, then let marinate. I went 3 hours as that was all the time I had, longer would probably be bettter and hotter. Remove wings, reserve marinade. Bring marinade to a boil, reduce and let simmer for 10 minutes. Grill wings 400F raised direct for about 30 minutes, basting and turning every 5. Serve with TATER TOTS. 

#:-S
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Looks really good- nice work
    Greensboro, NC
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    You are the wing king... I didn't get to cook my wings yesterday but already picked up a bag of tots Friday.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    @henapple you are a smart man, gotta have tots with wings!

Rowlett, Texas

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Those look and sound great @Griffin.  I have to be honest, I have never had a Hatch chille.  I googled around a bit and I think I could only order them online...so those wangs would run me about $50 to make ;).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Outstanding looking wings. Now ready for more wings
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Those look GREAT, Grif !!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin
    Those look and sound great @Griffin.  I have to be honest, I have never had a Hatch chille.  I googled around a bit and I think I could only order them online...so those wangs would run me about $50 to make ;).  

Try Anaheim. I can't make any promises on how close they will be, but Anaheims were originally grown from seeds from hatch chilies. Some say the soil and climate make all the difference, but I have no basis for comparison.

Rowlett, Texas

• I will most definitely be trying that!!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    These sound good. Bookmarked!

My HEB only has the mild Hatch chiles. Tried a couple the other day in a roasted tomatillo salsa that turned out pretty good. The jalapenos from the garden are quite hot, so they made up for the heat.

I forgot to send some good will your way  - congrats on your numbers and beating the diabetes thing. Saw your other thread last week but never got around to posting.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Griffin
    Thanks @caliking.

Rowlett, Texas

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    My HEB only has the mild Hatch chiles

For those not from Texas it's called H E B.... Not heb or heeb... And they'll let you know it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    That's funny I was thinking about a Lime Hatch Chili Marinade last night and mentioned it to the wife that we are having wings sometime this week.
    And you beat me to the punch. Now all I have to do is copy your recipe.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Bookmarked. Anything with chillies is my fav.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Bookmarked as well.  I need to pick up some more chilis to retry the salsa recipe and try this one.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • TMay
    TMay Posts: 87

Wings look real good...

Tots are great with wings, have you ever tried the Ore Ida Crowns?  They are made from the same stuff as tots, but they are thinner and rounder. About the size of a 50 cent piece, they are my favorite.

Rowlett, Texas
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Wings look great, I love the way you crisped them up...just how I like 'em.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    @Griffin
    Wow.. because of you peeps here, I recognized at my grocery the Hatch Chilis.  I made a salsa out of 2 mild and 1 hot that was awesome!  Grilled them and took the skin off first and that made some killer salsa.  Flavor is out of this world for such a simple recipe.
    Going to take some to work tomorrow and let some folks try.

BTW...great news on your A1C....so proud of your effort.  Be aware of the older you get...well, you know.  Enjoy your adventures now!

OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    edited August 2013
    Griffin said: Try Anaheim. I can't make any promises on how close they will be, but Anaheims were originally grown from seeds from hatch chilies. Some say the soil and climate make all the difference, but I have no basis for comparison.  

Soil and climate DO make a difference; I lived in Albuquerque for five years, and within six months this german/norwegian white boy was eating green chile three meals a day.  Every year the chiles were a slightly different flavor, and sometimes a major different heat; all depended on the weather patterns (just like wine grapes).  I'm guessing you'll see no more variation between Hatch and anaheims than you would between hatches of different years.  
    I still had a half-bushel of Hatch in my freezer this month, so I didn't buy any more this year; don't consume it quite like I did 20 years ago.   

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch
    When you make a post on this forum using someone else's quote to begin, the formatting gets ALL screwed up!  Especially if you use the "italics" button, as I do often.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch
    Oh yeah.  Grif, please tell us you gave a couple wings (sans bones) to your pooch!  Those eyes are saying either "Just one more, please?!?" or "You ate them ALL?!?!?", but I can't tell which...

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Boy howdy! Those look killer! =P~