Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Tenderloin Glazed with Peach Preserves and Rosemary (plus Applesauce)

Options
Well APL's Serious Barbecue arrived for me last week, and I decided to give this recipe a shot:

It's pretty close to one out of the BGE cookbook, the pork tenderloin with blackberry preserves, with a couple of key differences.  It definitely takes more time (there's an initial brining stage), and the glaze is split as a dressing.  But it was definitely worth it.  The flavor was incredible.  

Here's a shot of the tenderloins after coming out of the brine, with the rub applied, before going on my LBGE.  

I used a light coating of EVOO instead of the Canola oil the recipe called for.  I put on the LBGE at 400+ dome, direct.  Used the rosemary mop APL suggests for brushing them with butter during the cook.  Pretty much followed the directions otherwise: mopping and turning, with the occasional bath in the glaze.  I cooked them to 145 internal (give or take) and set them to rest on the other half of the glaze:

Sliced them up, soaking in the glaze:

I served these with a salad my wife made, as well as some home-made applesauce from APL's book.  The applesauce is incredibly easy and I highly recommend it as well - you basically dice up the apples, add some apple juice and a cinnamon stick, wrap it in foil, and let it cook on the egg for 20 minutes.  Then you blend it with some apple vinegar and brown sugar and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours.  Good stuff!

Anyway, I definitely recommend this recipe for those of you who are fans of the blackberry one.  Personally I think these came out quite a bit better - more moist (probably due to the brine) and more flavor as well.  My father disagreed but he was probably the only one at the table.    
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Good looking cook. Will definetly have to try that one. I got my APL cookbook last week.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Looks awesome

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• SmokinTiger81
    Options

Very nice cook.  Thanks for details and photos.  Just got that book too, so interested in trying out some recipes.

I do pork tenderloins fairly regularly.  I have found internal pull temp of 138-140 range is great for keeping them just a little pink.  I have never brined pork tenderloins because they are moist if you don't overcook them.  But, will do the recipe as written just to do it by the book the first time.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Nice.  I like a sweet hint on pork, like pepper jelly on a pork chop.  I bet it tasted great !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options

Very nice cook.  Thanks for details and photos.  Just got that book too, so interested in trying out some recipes.

I do pork tenderloins fairly regularly.  I have found internal pull temp of 138-140 range is great for keeping them just a little pink.  I have never brined pork tenderloins because they are moist if you don't overcook them.  But, will do the recipe as written just to do it by the book the first time.

Interesting on the temp. APL's recipe doesn't specify one, just cook to desired done ness. These had a little bit of pink inside. I bet you could cook them to140 and they'd be just as good, though I wonder what impact the brine has.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Really nice
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looks great!  I just spent 15 minutes perusing all the recipes on that site...there are quite a few! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Was looking for a recipe with peaches as we had some just starting to turn. Your post was very timely. Your tenderloins look excellent. I'm doing a little pork loin roast right now with this basic recipe. Made some peach nectar and "brined for about 4 hours. Going on the egg as I post this. Thanks for the timely recipe!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Looks great!  I just spent 15 minutes perusing all the recipes on that site...there are quite a few! 

Right - I suspect many are from his book. Couldn't find the Applesauce recipe there though.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Was looking for a recipe with peaches as we had some just starting to turn. Your post was very timely. Your tenderloins look excellent. I'm doing a little pork loin roast right now with this basic recipe. Made some peach nectar and "brined for about 4 hours. Going on the egg as I post this. Thanks for the timely recipe!

I've only done one pork loin (stuffed) and it didn't come out anywhere near as good as I wanted it to be. But this recipe would be interesting with a loin. Good luck!
  • Skiddymarker
    edited August 2013
    Options
    @JohninCarolina - Home Run!
    SWMBO has officially declared this glaze as her favourite. Not sure the peach nectar made a big difference in the brining step, but it was excellent. 
    Will try this again, normal brine (water/salt/sugar/garlic) and this rub and glaze again. Thanks!

I melt the butter using the side burner on my gasser, raised direct at 400º, very, very good! 

The roast was the last 6" of a cryovac loin. 

(PS - I've never had a stuffed loin that I liked over a non-stuffed loin)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited August 2013
    Options
    @JohninCarolina - Home Run!
    SWMBO has officially declared this glaze as her favourite. Not sure the peach nectar made a big difference in the brining step, but it was excellent. 
    Will try this again, normal brine (water/salt/sugar/garlic) and this rub and glaze again. Thanks!

I melt the butter using the side burner on my gasser, raised direct at 400º, very, very good! 

The roast was the last 6" of a cryovac loin. 

(PS - I've never had a stuffed loin that I liked over a non-stuffed loin)

Sweet! Looks great. BTW, now I know what to use my gasser for!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options

"(PS - I've never had a stuffed loin that I liked over a non-stuffed loin)"

I'll take that a step further.  I've never seen a stuffed loin recipe that made me think it had even a remote chance of being better than a non-stuffed loin. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    @JohninCarolina - tried the same rub and glaze on a rack of BB ribs. Brined the ribs in a standard salt/sugar/garlic/peppercorn brine. Had some of the glaze left from the loin roast, so I tried it on some ribs. 
    This pic is with 2 hours to go, came out very well. 
    Thanks again for sharing this recipe.