Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What kind of lump in Willisville IL or Jackson, MO??

Options
Gonna be in these two towns on Mon and Tues of this week and was hoping someone could tell me if there is any lump worth buying other than BGE or Royal Oak. Any info is appreciated.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Willisville only has 270 homes so I doubt that is a shopping mecca. Jackson is close to Cape, but not sure what you might find if you drive over there. OTOH depending on your route from Henderson do you ever get to Evansville? There you can buy lump at a GPS store. It is their private label, made for them by Royal Oak. Here anyway it is a bit cheaper than RO sold at Wally World.

Maybe StLCharcoal will see this thread and tell you where you can buy some of his lump. Good Luck!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Thanks Ron. I do drive by the GPS about 3 times a week but never stopped because like you mentioned it is private labeled RO which I can buy for $6 for 8lbs or so. It really isn't about the cheapest lump just lookin for good lump after @henapple spoiled me with OO. I still have one of his bags dedicated to a long cook and use RO for the shorter it don't matter cooks.
    I am hopin Jonathon will chime in!!

analyze adapt overcome

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited August 2013
    Options

Working on having charcoal close to both of those cities.....but it won't be in the next two days.  In the next month hopefully.

For now, it's just STL if you're on a tight schedule.  I get out to Mt. Vernon once in a while, I might be able to meet you somewhere out that directions.

Are you from the Evansville area??  Start harping on some BGE dealers to add it to their lineup.  It's fairly cheap to ship out there.  You might be able to pick it up for them and get your portion paid for.  Lots of options with you being just a few hrs from STL.

BTW, if you have some extra time in Willisville, hit up the Pioneer's Cabin.  That is a major destination for people all over southern IL.  We used to land the helicopter there all the time in what's now their overflow parking lot.  I've organized a few car club driving tours down there as well.  Awesome place, just resist the temptation to devour the first course dumplings though--they fill you up.     http://www.thepioneerscabin.com

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited August 2013
    Options

@Mattman3969

Looks like I spoke too soon......guess what's on it's way to Jackson, MO in about an hour???  Two pallets of Rockwood.  They should be at 713 Kasten Drive by mid afternoon.

Then by tomorrow or Thursday, there should be some bags delivered to Carbondale and Bonne Terre, MO.

Here's the website for the new dealer:  http://www.kastenmasonry.net/

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Thanks for the info. That dealer is only 12 miles from where I will be. Looks like I will be tryin some Rockwood pretty soon

analyze adapt overcome