Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Attempting my first pizza's this afternoon and have a couple of questions.

I started the wheat crust dough yesterday and left it in the fridge to rise. I have my grill setup figured out, but have a question in regards to the pizza stone.  Do I put the stone in the Egg and get it to temp, or put the pizza on the stone then place them both in the Egg at the same time?

Going simple on my first two pizza's tonight.  Wheat crust, fresh premade sauce from the farmers market, fresh mozza and fresh riccotta.  Also may cook some chorizo and put it on the pizza as well.

Either way, there will be plenty of beer drank during the voyage!  Cheers!
Steve 
XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

Comments

• JVAV
    JVAV Posts: 18
    Put the stone in the egg and bring it to temp, otherwise the bottom won't be ready when the top is.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Preheat the stone...it takes longer than you might expect to come fully up to temp.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Thanks!
    Steve 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Yikes.  That was easily the first meal I destroyed via the Egg.  Lots of lessons learned.

First, a pizza peel is a must.  It's damn near impossible to transfer the pizza from the baking sheet it was prepped on to the stone and back.

Make sure the Egg is clean.  The pizza absorbs much more smoke than anything I've made on the Egg.

Don't go overboard with too many toppings.

I was afraid of burning the crust so I actually pulled the pizzas just a bit early.

Be prepared for a mess.  Kitchen counter was a mess.

Positives:
    The wheat crust was great.  Flavor, everything.
    I used sliced mozzarella for these two.  Think I'll shred my own mozzarella and use it next time.

Gonna give it a go at a couple more pies this week!
    Steve 

• I made the mistake of putting a pizza stone on my plate setter after it had heated up. It was winter and the stone was outside in the cold. The cold stone on the hot plate setter caused the stone to break into 3 pieces. Lesson learned. 
  • I did some pizzas last night. Setup was plate setter legs down, three paver stones (about 2" high) on top of the plate setter pizza stone on top of that. Cooked at dome temp of about 550*. I like to get the pizza stone as high in the dome as possible. Took about 7-8 minutes to cook each pizza.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited August 2013
    imageimage
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.