Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekend Cooks, Monday Ribs

Acn
Acn Posts: 4,424
Dinner both nights on the egg this weekend, trying out the new grate and eggware cap I got from @stlcharcoal. Both work very well, very happy with the purchase. My wife has now started calling the egg 'Tinman' though.
Last night dinner was super simple, just some sweet potatoes and burgers. I use 80/20 ground beef, salt, pepper, garlic powder and worcestshire sauce in the burger mix. image
Saturday night was a bit more interesting, whole black bass, coated with a mixture of olive oil, chopped thyme, rosemary and parsley, minced garlic and capers. Stuffed with additional fresh thyme and lemon slices, and cooked in a mixture of rosé wine and half a stick of butter.
On top was a pan of okra, tossed with oil and a local Cajun rub, Todd's Bayou Dirt. Here is the finished fish:
Today, I'm working from home and the in-laws are driving up from NC with our daughter, so figured on doing some ribs! I haven't foiled, usually go 4-4.5 hours and sauce, let finish for another hour. I'll post pics of that as the day progresses.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

Comments

• Looks good. Do you do the burgers entirely indirect?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited August 2013

Looks good. Do you do the burgers entirely indirect?

Thanks, no I cook them most of the way indirect and then pull the plate setter and finish them direct, just a minute, minute and a half on each side to get some color.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• That's interesting. I've never considered doing burgers like that. Is there a specific reason you do it that way?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

That's interesting. I've never considered doing burgers like that. Is there a specific reason you do it that way?

Honestly some of it is convenience; in this instance we wouldnt have to let the sweet potatoes rest while the burgers cook (admitedly in this example, they wouldn't have cooled too much, but it it was the okra, waiting would have made it too cool). Also a lot of it is visual...the first time I did them indirect SWMBO sent them back to the grill for being too pale.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    So the ribs are resting. I'm still experimenting with the flavors I like, here are half racks, one with The Rub Company original, one with simply marvelous cherry rub. Also are half racks with just salt and pepper.image
    Got them on the egg at 280, with a generous helping of sugar maple chips for smoke:
    Final pics are my sauces, they went on the salt and pepper racks, and a process picture and resting:
    Finally a sliced photo - no plated shots, but we had them with black-eyed peas and Swiss chard.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD