Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turning Leaves

My crabapple tree is always the first tree I see to start turning colors each year. My neighbor's tree doesn't finish dropping leaves until mid November. Anyone else's start this early?
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I think your crabapple tree is a wuss - definitely out of its hardiness zone....
    What do I know, all my trees are evergreens - they shed right after the new growth comes in the spring.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • @td66snrf - Very good sir or madam. "Off Topic" is exactly what this thread is. Perhaps that's why I labeled it as "Off Topic"?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    The quakies are turning up in the bowls, the scrub oak should be starting soon.  One thing that's fun about living in the mountains is watching the seasons change up and down the mountain as the time goes by; flower bloom down here first, then a bit higher up, on up the mountains.  Then the first leaves change up there, and start working their way back down, followed by snow.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Dogwood starting to get some color here in Central PA.  Love autumn  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    no color change here but the leaves do wilt in the afternoon from the hot sun

And the grass gets at least 1% more brown every day starting in June.  By Labor Day there is no green.  "Late Dry Summer" is a season, right?  It comes after "Early Humid Summer".

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    @td66snrf - Very good sir or madam. "Off Topic" is exactly what this thread is. Perhaps that's why I labeled it as "Off Topic"?
    Sorry, didn't mean to offend just didn't see OT in the topic.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    My ash in the backyard is starting to drop. Not as bad as yours Fred.

Bill

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    BOOOO.

I hate the winter. Falling leaves mean summer is leaving. I need to get out of NY.

Garnerville, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Don't be sad Rob. Leaves are changing, the weather is beautiful, tasty beer is coming...

Isn't this a cooking forum?
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited August 2013
    I think the tree is on mourning for the Wolverines upcoming season. :(

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911

Don't be sad Rob. Leaves are changing, the weather is beautiful, tasty beer is coming...

Isn't this a cooking forum?

Yeah but I hate the cold. I am more comfortable floating In the pool practicing my Statue of Liberty pose (keeping drink out of water) than wearing 4 sweatshirts and a jacket shaking my drink do to the cold.

Beers are good. 5 year old starts travel ice hockey this year. 2 practices a week and games every Sat/Sun. Yeah. I really enjoy watching him play. So a least that will get me through winter. Will cut way back on egging time but for a good reason.

Still need to move down south though.

Garnerville, NY
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    "Still need to move south though."

Yeah. Move to Texas and get your kid into soccer. Then you can have the experience of sitting out at a soccer game in July as the sweat forms a continuous stream off the bill of your hat. Makes you appreciate how hard the kids work.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• @foghorn and "early humid summer" begins in April and ends in mid may, if we are lucky!
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx