Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL egg

Options

Hi,

I recently purchased an XL egg after owning a large egg for 6 years. Is there a difference in cooking/grilling between the 2 sizes? I cannot get my ribs to come out the same way on the XL as I could on the large. I am doing everything the same way. I would appreciate any imput.Thanks

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    No experience with the large but I do have an XL. My buddy has a large and the vent settings for a L vs an XL are different. I would check your dome thermometer and calibrate if necessary. You should get similar results on both units.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options
    I use my lg for my big meats and my xl for ribs during comps. Run the xl at 250º 2hrs then I wrap in paper for 1hr and unwrapped for the last hour. I've had very good results on ribs.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Can you elaborate a bit on the difference between the ribs on the Large vs. the XL?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Try lighting the lump in multiple spots. I do three spots in a triangle. Push the ribs higher in the dome for more consistent temperatures across the grid. My best grid temperature for ribs is 275. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.