Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

18lb Prime Rib Cook - first prime rib

Scottyboy
Scottyboy Posts: 40
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
First cook post here so here goes.  I have had my large BGE for about a year and a half and have recently had a hankering to try a prime rib for a family dinner (10 people).  Nothing like diving in head-first, so I went to the local Marsh store and ended up bagging a choice 7-bone 18 pounder for $9.99 a pound.  I had the butcher cut the bones off and did a rub of Snider's prime rib and roast rub all over and then tied the bones back on with butcher's twine.

I managed to just squeeze it on the egg and cooked it indirect at 255 deg for 3.5 hours and pulled it at 120 deg center temp, let it rest for 20 min or so while I heated up the egg to 450 for a reverse sear for 2 min.  It ended up being slightly rarer in the center than I would have liked; I had anticipated a higher temperature climb during the rest, but it didn't go quite as high as I thought.  Next time I would probably let it get a little hotter in the center, but I was also concerned about getting the ends overdone.  I touched up a couple of the rarer slices on the egg afterwards, so it really was not a huge deal.  Served up with fresh garden tomatoes, baked potato and some bell peppers flavored with Dizzy Pig Shakin' the Tree.

All the family commented it was better than any restaurant prime rib that they had ever had, so I'll take that as a win!

imageimageimageimageimageimage
XL, LBGE, Adjustable Rig
Shelbyville, IN

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Great first cook post and one heck of a meal!

It all looks really good!
  • That is some good stuff.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    1) That looks awesome.
    2) The temperature rise after you pull it off is related to the temperature at which it was cooking. If you cook it at 325 - 350 as many do, it will rise more after it comes off the grill. It will also cook the periphery a little more at the higher temp.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    "Holy cow" and I wish I was there. With a cook like that, where have you been the last year and a half with only 3 posts... We love doing prime rib when we get it on sale. Excited for Christmas. Prime rib on the egg in unmatched.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Looks amazing
    LBGE- Atlanta, LBGE and SBGE- Ellijay, GA
  • @hapster, @jerolharter:  Thanks a lot.

@Foghorn:  Thanks a lot for the info on the temp rise...that really helps.

@yzzi:  Yeah, I've been lurking too much....need to get more active in posting.  I'm really looking forward to doing one of these now for New Year's eve.  Before I got the egg, we used to just get Outback steakhouse prime ribs to go for New Year's....now no more!  Prime rib on the egg just blows it away.

XL, LBGE, Adjustable Rig
    Shelbyville, IN
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    18 lbs!?! You're an animal! Nice work. =D>
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    @Scottyboy, I'm happy to help.  You got a great result at the low temp so you probably shouldn't change anything.  When you cook it over 300 the meat that is outside of the internal fat strip (upper right corner of the slice on your plated pic) usually is brown if you cook it to 120 then rest and sear it... at least when I do it that way... That strip of fat acts as a temperature barrier to keep the meat internal to it more rare.  However, in a lower temp cook it is less of an issue. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Helluva first cook post! How do follow that on your next cook? ;)
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Drewdlc17
    Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
    Looks awesome! I've done Pime Rib about .25 that size and thought I had a big chunk of meat. That's a serious prime rib!
  • Scottyboy
    Scottyboy Posts: 40
    edited August 2013
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Helluva first cook post! How do follow that on your next cook? ;)
    Hot dogs??  ;-)  Actually wasn't my first cook per se, it was my first post here about a cook...kinda confusing now that I think about it.
    XL, LBGE, Adjustable Rig
    Shelbyville, IN