Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wet/dry scallops.

Options
warwoman
warwoman Posts: 279
Hate to sound like a rank novice, especially concerning seafood, but would one of our folks here tell me what the difference is? I know, one's wet and one's dry.
From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    @travisstrick is the expert.  He taught me that dry scallops are the way to go.  I think wet scallops have been bleached.  Dry scallops grill much better.  I suppose wet scallops are OK in soups or gumbos.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Village Idiot  -- That is exactly what I've been taught, too.  From what I remember, both are shucked on the boat but wet scallops are put into a container with water (to preserve longer), whereas dry scallops are put in a dry container (no preservatives).   
    So... dry scallops are fresher and taste better.   :)
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options

Wet scallops are shucked on the boat directly into a container filled with cold water, which preserves the scallops for longer. The downside is that the scallops absorb water and plump up, giving them a less pure flavor and a tougher texture. These scallops also tend to be older by the time they get to the seller.

Often a preservative or chemical salt is added to the water to prevent the scallops from spoiling. If this is a concern for you, always ask the fishmonger how the scallops were packed before buying wet scallops.

Dry scallops are also shucked on the boat, but they go into a dry container with no water or preservatives. Their flavor is more pure and concentrated. They have a shorter shelf-life, but this means that they're fresher when you buy them.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
  • travisstrick
    Options
    They are both wet. As in they come in water. The dry refers to the lack of sodium tri phosphate.

Avoid the wet at all costs.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    Now Im confused but frankly never heard of either before this thread and am planning to try some. Will the fishmonger or counterperson know whaen I ask for "dry scallops?" or is this something a grocery store person is unaware of?
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    Wow!! Thanks for all the info! You'se guys are amazing! Hope to meet some of y'all at the 'Fest!
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Gogogordy said:
    Now Im confused but frankly never heard of either before this thread and am planning to try some. Will the fishmonger or counterperson know whaen I ask for "dry scallops?" or is this something a grocery store person is unaware of?
    He should know.  If he doesn't, don't buy from him.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• travisstrick
    Options
    Gogogordy said:

If they don't know when you ask, they have wet. Anyone who sells dry will be proud of them and know exactly what they have.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If they don't know when you ask, they have wet. Anyone who sells dry will be proud of them and know exactly what they have.

true-and dry scallops are much more expensive. if they don't know why one is $9.99 per lb and one is $29.99 per lb.....run.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX