Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NEED HELP FAST

Options
I'm cooking my second brisket and have a head scratcher. I put it on at 10 this morning, it's now 2:30 and its at a temp of 190. Im cooking at 250 grate. This thing didn't stall at all it's just climbing. What gives? By the way i did want to put it on earlier this morning but was severely hung over so i didn't make it......i hate peer pressure.

Comments

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    What are you using to check the meat temp?
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options

No help but a few comments-are your indications good (calibrated?) and are you measuring the temp in the thickest part of the flat?  The point will run around 10*F hotter than the flat but it is not the finish-line indicator due to the fat content.  When you can probe the thickest part of the flat with no resistance then you are finished. 

And never forget-the briskie and most low&slow cooks behave as they wish-we are along for the ride. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    I would just check the thermometer in a couple of places and treat it like any other brisket.  When the thermometer slides in and out easily it is done - then FTC it.  I did a 14.5 pounder a couple of weeks ago in 7 hours at a grid temp of 240.  I don't know if it stalled for a while or not because it was an overnight cook and when I checked it in the morning it was done - way sooner than I expected - but it was the best brisket I've ever cooked...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• rhodges
    rhodges Posts: 17
    Options
    Just checked it in a couple of place with the thermapen and the temp is all over the place but some spots are still in the 170's. My maverick was in the thickest part of the flat but there was definitely too much resistance when i probed with the thermapen. It is a smaller brisket, 10 lbs before trimming, but this is going way to quick.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    if you are in the 170's in the flat you are probably in the stall. You probably have hours to go. Time for a beer to quash that hangover.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • rhodges
    Options
    i guess the probe was just in a hotspot?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    rhodges said:
    i guess the probe was just in a hotspot?

most likely in the point. It runs hotter than the flat. always measure in the thickest part of the flat. .No other measurement matters.
  • rhodges
    Options
    well thats what was confusing, i was in the flat
  • pkaboo1
    pkaboo1 Posts: 115
    Options

.I'm doing a small flat, 5lbs.

I put it on at 7:30am Ga. time.

155 at 9;30,170 at 11:00,

181 At 2:55

Snellville,Ga.
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    I had an interesting experience with my brisket this weekend also.
    Listen to these old timers - it may not make much sense till afterwards.
    You are in the stall, either put in foil pan with some broth and wine and cover with foil and power through the stall (if you need for this evening) or just leave it.
    Double check placement of meat probe - if when you test with Thermapen and it does not slide in easily - its not done.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    old timers?????? :-w
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    It's a good thing the wi-fi reaches out to Cen-Tex's rocking chair on the front porch...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options

old timers?????? :-w

Lol. In Egg years and experience :)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @C-T-I'm sure you have been called worse :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • rhodges
    Options
    Well it was done after 6 hrs total, let it rest FTC for an hour. Turned out great. I guess it just had a mind of its own.