Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ DX2... pit temp vs dome temp....quick Q.

Options
I have only used my DigiQ dx2 a couple of times. From my past cooks, I remember the pit temp reading being very close to dome temp. I just started some spare ribs right now and my pit temp is reading 230 and my dome temp is reading 340. Is that normal? I am thinking that is a pretty big difference. Yes, dome thermo was just calibrated. Any opinions?
If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Check the digi q. You may have a bad probe.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    Make sure you put the crocodile clip on the upper portion of the BGE temperature probe. Do not put it on the portion below the indent on the probe or it cause the BGE probe to read much higher.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Options
    My crocodile clip broke off several cooks ago. I had the pit probe at grate level (not touching grate or food or drippings) and it was reading 230. I just moved the pit probe and snaked it down the DFMT and now I am getting a high temp alert...guru says 300. Based off of that, sounds like my probe is fine and my placement of it on the grid was wrong.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    How about just taking out dome thermometer and sticking your probe in the hole?
    Dunedin, FL
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Options
    @yzzi, tried that, pit probe is too thick - will not in the dome hole.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    IMO your grate temp will be lower if you just put your meat on till the meat warms up a little.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    Don't mean to hijack here but it brings up a question for me. I typically attach my DigiQ alligator clip to the grid so that I am measuring temp where the meat is. Should I be doing is differently?
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    I always attach my clip to the dome thermo...from what I have read here the temps will become equal anyway
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    RLeeper said:
    I always attach my clip to the dome thermo...from what I have read here the temps will become equal anyway
    Agree, but most of the temps on BGE recipes and sites reflect dome temp. So that is the temp I want my controller to be focused on from the beginning. Just make sure to clip the Guru up high in the BGE problem and you will find both will be dang close in temp. 

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    Thanks for the help!
    Clarendon Hills, IL