Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RO in a green bag?

Options
Anyone use RO lump in a green bag? I picked some up at menards( big box home improvement store may be regional I don't know). Anyway I was disappointed in it, almost completely smalls and dust. Nothing life the nice big pieces in the BGE bag Not sure if RO in the red bag is different or better? Got a bag of BGE lump with my LBGE and this is the first bag I have bought since using it all.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Have not looked at RO other than the red bag for some time, no retailer for the green around me. The green was imported hardwood, the red bag (blue bag labeled Star Grill in Canada) is US hardwood. Sometimes the green bag says Steakhouse (I think) and it used to have some mesquite mix in it as I recall - may be blowing smoke there. 
    Royal Oak in the large red bag is very comparable to BGE Lump (some say it is the same).
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    I actually bought 4 bags up in Wyoming last week at a menards as well.
    I had never seen it and was curious as well.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• dizzy1
    dizzy1 Posts: 34
    Options
    Let me know how yours is it was a good buy if the quality is there
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited August 2013
    Options

RO comes in red, green and even blue bags. If it is from different countries it will say on the bag, otherwise color makes no difference. BTW it also comes in a bag that is both tan and green!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Justacookin
    Options

I buy that at Menards in Minnesota. Have got good and bad now I try to buy off the top of the pallet and I shake the bag A little.

XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    We get RO in the green bag here in Iowa at Menards.  It works OK as long as you are not trying to do a 20 hour cook.  Mostly small pieces and some medium sized.  It seems to work better with the temperature controller hooked up.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    I'm in Iowa and buy royal oak at our local menards in the green bags. I've been very happy with it- I've seen a lot of big chunks in my bags. And the price is right. Ill stick with it for now!
    NW IOWA
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Red bag is all I've seen here in the PNW.

Like it.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @RRP - where did you get the 20# bag of Star Grill? All our local stuff, French and English on the bag is in 8Kg/17.6# bags. I've noticed the quality of the lump to be better with the larger bags than the smaller bags. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    Options
    @RRP - where did you get the 20# bag of Star Grill? All our local stuff, French and English on the bag is in 8Kg/17.6# bags. I've noticed the quality of the lump to be better with the larger bags than the smaller bags. 
    Got it from my BGE dealer. I recall he said he was told it was packaged for sale in Canada, but the distributor merely fills the orders with whatever RO he has in inventory at the time. He only received a pallet of it at that time and has not had any more blue bags since.
  • Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    Options
    I've only seen the red bag in the Atlanta, north GA area. I have no problem with RO for quick cooks (burgers, chops & chicken), I rely on the BGE brands for ribs and butts> I am still looking for WG lump, tons of folks here love it. I'm a newbee, only 6 months with my LBGE but that sucker stays HOT!!!
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • RRP
    Options
    pssssssst....RO makes BGE charcoal for them - saves you a bunch of money!
  • 3andsomedust
    Options
    Green bag Royal Oak from Menards is about all I use and I've always had great luck with it. Also...it's US hardwood. Anyone who thinks its different that red bag or BGE lump is fooling themselves in my opinion.
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    Options
    Green bag, Red bag makes no diff to me both have been good and both US made

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI