Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick dessert (baked apples) - no pics

Options

Quick and easy dinner tonight:  Burgers on the egg with sugar snap peas and potatoes.

Dessert though, was an old stand-by:  Baked apples on the egg.  This is something simple I throw on the egg while we're eating and just forget about (for up to an hour) and it's still perfect.  I'm sure others have posted this, if not ... this is what I do:

Apples (whatever type you enjoy - I prefer Fuji or Honeycrisp)

1 tsp butter per apple

To taste:

Brown sugar

Cinnamon (I use Penzey's all-purpose blend)

Allspice

Pecan chips

Vanilla

My typical ratio is: 1 part brown sugar to .5 cinnamon to .25 allspice ... and then whoop it up with vanilla and however many nuts you feel like

Vanilla Ice cream

To make:

Core the apple and stuff with the pat of butter

Mix brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, vanilla and nuts ... press into both side of the cored apple and wrap in foil

Bake on the egg at any temp from 450 and below for upwards of an hour 

Put ice cream in bowl - and unwrap apple from foil over ice cream, getting all the juice into the bowl.

Enjoy.

StlScott

Comments

• mikeb9550
    Options
    I have always wanted to make this. Going to have to try.. I see it called a few name like apple dumpling. Do you peel the apple?
  • StlScott
    StlScott Posts: 77
    Options

@mikeb9550,

They actually make a tool/toy these days that looks like a chicken sitter - for apples.  I have a recipe for using them with dough on the outside ... very reminiscent of an apple cobbler.

I didn't peel the apple for this one ... but sometimes after coring the apple I'll slice it down 80% of the way (3 cuts) so the apple kind of fans out without coming apart.  Then I'll put the butter, spices and goodies inside - you can get a lot more goodies in on that one ... be sure to double foil it.  Gets more of the flavor on the apples - but it's for a shorter cook.  Last night, I knew we'd be walking the dogs after dinner, so I wanted it to hold up a bit better.

StlScott