Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

16 lb Brisket cooking really fast

I put on a 16lb brisket 3 hours ago at 260-270. Maverick temp and dome temp are 260-270.  I'm concerned because internal on the maverick is showing 158.  I am happy with my probe placement so cant see that being the issue.  Any thoughts why so quick?

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    You should spot check the flat with a therampen if you have one, or any instant read thermo... I think your placement may be off...

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited August 2013
    normal. You are fine. A brisket that large could stall out all afternoon. Itwill get up to 170-ish in the next few hours then go take a nap. You have a long way to go.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • krames
    krames Posts: 70
    Not to hijack your thread, but I am cooking a 13 pound brisket. The flat has already hit 170 and the end toward the point is 20 degrees cooler. I rotated the brisket and I am assuming that this because of the thickness of he point, but I just want to be sure. I am cooking at 250.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    krames said:

Not to hijack your thread, but I am cooking a 13 pound brisket. The flat has already hit 170 and the end toward the point is 20 degrees cooler. I rotated the brisket and I am assuming that this because of the thickness of he point, but I just want to be sure. I am cooking at 250.

@krames you sound fine. It's usually the opposite so you were probably right to adjust for a possible hotspot.
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    normal. You are fine. A brisket that large could stall out all afternoon. Itwill get up to 170-ish in the next few hours then go take a nap. You have a long way to go.
    Thanks so the stall is usually in the 170s then?  I for some reason thought it would be lower.  Thanks.  I'm hoping to eat in 8 or 9 hours.  Does that seem reasonable?
  • krames
    Thanks Eggcelsior!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    It'll hit a stall like a constipated trucker. No matter how hard you push it... You'll be there a long time.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:

It'll hit a stall like a constipated trucker. No matter how hard you push it... You'll be there a long time.

Hooray for light bathroom reading...
  • Eggdam said:
    Thanks so the stall is usually in the 170s then?  I for some reason thought it would be lower.  Thanks.  I'm hoping to eat in 8 or 9 hours.  Does that seem reasonable?

usually high 150"s to mid 170's. They are a finicky lot.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

henapple said:

Hooray for light bathroom reading...
    Light?... .. Lord of the Rings Trilogy.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • krames
    So my brisket is almost done and my bbq doesn't start til 6! Am I safe to keep it wrapped up in the oven at 170? Or should I do something else?
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    wrap it 2 or 3 times in heavy duty foil and put it in a cooler few towels surrounding it.
    Dunedin, FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Don't know your time-zone but if East or Central you should be okay.  Just double-wrap in Foil, have a Cooler not much bigger than what you toss in , fill the void space with Towels shut and don't open til ready to slice against the grain.  If pushing much beyond the 4-6 hours of FTC then you will probably be fine but could be pushing it.  FWIW-YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • krames
    I forgot to mention my time zone. I am in central. Thanks for the advice guys!
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    yzzi said:
    wrap it 2 or 3 times in heavy duty foil and put it in a cooler few towels surrounding it.

I always preheat my towels in the dryer just to give the brisket an extra thermal push. Keeps longer ...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    yzzi said:

I always preheat my towels in the dryer just to give the brisket an extra thermal push. Keeps longer ...
    Try using the towels after the FTC for after your next shower. Gives you a manly scent.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Eggdam
    Thanks Cen-Tex.  Brisket turned out wicked. Came up to 203 in 10 hours @ 4:30 rested for 2 hours in the cooler for 6:30 dinner.  I've attached a pic of it right before it came off.  No cut pics as it was devoured in short order with barely enough leftovers for my lunch next week. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Home run. Hopefully you enjoyed your well-deserved stroll around the bases.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• that looks awesome. one quick note- your temp probe is in the point in that picure. The point will generally read hotter than the flat since there is more fat (fat cooks faster than muscle). you'll have a more accurae picture of what's happening with your cook if you measure in the flat.
  • Eggdam
    that looks awesome. one quick note- your temp probe is in the point in that picure. The point will generally read hotter than the flat since there is more fat (fat cooks faster than muscle). you'll have a more accurae picture of what's happening with your cook if you measure in the flat.
    Thanks for the advise I will give that a try on the next one.  Do you think that is why the temp came up so fast in the beginning?