Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Re-purposed the old gasser

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
Haven't used the gasser in months, and it looked like it - back of the yard covered in cobwebs.  Recently got the Lodge Hibachi, which I love for searing or quick burgers, but got tired of cooking at ground level, and waiting for it to cool down then storing in the shed.  Cleaned up the old grill, and it's perfect for the hibachi/  Will be searing some filets tonight!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Thats cool
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• AmericanFlannel
    Options
    I use mine as a workspace to put hot grates etc from the BGE on while cooking. I also use it as a rain hood to put the controller for my CyberQ in , shutting the lid and keeping it dry.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Perfect!  Gassers are a great place to store eggcessories!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    Well played sir!
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    And if you close the lid it's almost a smoker! Great idea. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Dave_Matthews
    Options
    Making me wish I had saved the old dead gasser!  Well done!

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    I have been eyeing that Lodge.  I really, really want a Mini but I can't justify the price for what I would be getting.   
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    dweebs0r said:
    I have been eyeing that Lodge.  I really, really want a Mini but I can't justify the price for what I would be getting.   

That's why I went with the Lodge. A Mini is in the future, but for now, for the price, the Lodge will do what I want. A great pairing with the Egg. For steaks, I can sear, or reverse sear, without dealing with temp changes on the Egg. Great combo with the LBGE. Raising it up into the old grill and being able to leave it out in the elements is a plus.
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    The Lodge is a great grill....cooks well and built to last. A great addition to a BGE (and a re-purposed gasser)
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • mikeb9550
    Options
    Like yours my gasser just sat until I finally sold it and my wsm this summer.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Admittedly I wish I still had a small gasser. Love my egg, but sometimes I don't want to fire it up for hot dogs for the kids.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    Admittedly I wish I still had a small gasser. Love my egg, but sometimes I don't want to fire it up for hot dogs for the kids.
    That's why I want a mini.  Quick and/or small cooks.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    dweebs0r said:

To make the mini extra quick, I sometimes steal leftover lump out of my XL and fill the mini with that.
    Flint, Michigan
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    To make the mini extra quick, I sometimes steal leftover lump out of my XL and fill the mini with that.
    thats all I use in mine.  i don't think I have ever put fresh out of the bag lump in it.