Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can someone recommend a good thermometer with decent features that won't break the bank. I just need something I can leave in my pork shoulder, turkey breast (insert meat here) while it cooks in the egg. I see that polder is quite popular, butjsut want some opinions. Would prefer not to spend more than 40 bucks, if at all possible.[p]Thanx in advance.[p]Tim

Comments

• Scrambled Eggs
    Options
    Tim,
    Weber makes a nice remote thermometer that you can go up to 100 feet away with it works well $29.99. or maverick makes a few remote ones that range from $30 to $60. Also accurite makes good thermometers from $8 to $60

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Tim:[p]My suggestion is the Maverick ET-73 (click on the link below) available from thegadgetsource.com. I have two and have not had any problems with them. However, the range the quote (100') is really more like 50' especially through more than one wall.[p]HTH[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay[p]

[ul][li]Maverick[/ul]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Dos Huevos
    Options
    Tim,[p]I would recommend the maverick ET-73. It's dual probed and allows for upper and lower temp alarms so you can use one for the dome and one for the meat.[p]
    [ul][li]maverick et-73[/ul]
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    Tim, If you could part with another 6 bucks I would recommend the Redi Check. It saves me from going up and down a flight of stairs to check on meat and dome temp. I guess there might even be some folks who wear it on their belt to make themselves seem important as would a pager or cell phone.
  • Ed
    Ed Posts: 123
    Options
    Scrambled Eggs,[p]I bought the Weber and found out the meat temp cannot be set above 180. If you plan on running your pork up to 200 or so, you won't like the Weber. Also, after two stopped working, I bought the Maverick. I haven't had is long enough to recommend it on quality, but as far as features go, it is way better than the Weber because you can monitor smoker temp and meat temp. It is not as easy to use as the Weber. The controls are not intuitive and the instructions are in like #6 font. Once you get past all that, I think it's a pretty good value for your $44. Of course, once you see haw cool it is to have better control, you will convince yourself that you need the BBQ Guru. Many people recommended that I just buy the Guru. I wish I had listened. [p]That is my final recommendation, Bite the bullet and buy the guru. If you choose not to, buy the Maverick. Don't waste the money on the Weber.[p]Ed
  • Bruce Fischer
    Options
    Tim,
    I bought the Maverick (ET-73) a few weeks ago. It took me an hour to get through the directions and get it working. And I have not used it since that first time just because it was such a pain in the ###. The other day my mother bought me a "Pyrex" at Bed, Bath, & Beyond. It is really simple to use (I didn't even look at the directions till after I had it set). Somebody on this board told me that it is basicly the same as a "Polder". Anyway the best part is that it sells for $19.99 at B.B. & B. I paid more than twice that for the Maverick. If you decide you want a (once used) Maverick, send me an email.
    'bluffer

• Grillicious
    Options
    Tim, badbluffers bad experience is one of the few I've heard. Yes, I had to spend about a half hour with the directions, but then it's a little package that does a lot. I've had no problems and can't recommend it enough. Two probes, monitoring both the grill temp and the meat temp. And only $39.99. It's my recommendation.

[ul][li]http://www.thegadgetsource.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tgs&Product_Code=011502013733[/ul]
  • cousintx
    Options
    Won a Maverick in the raffle at the OKC Eggfest and really love it. Is somewhat complicated at first, but love the ability to see what the dome temp and meat temp w/o getting out of bed on thosed overnight long cooks.
  • billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    Hi Tim
    I have the original maverick remote that still works. I got the maverick 73. I decided that I didn't have a degree in astro physics to make it work. (I also really didn't like my wife laughing at me going though all the steps. I did enlarge the instructions) My difficulties with unit were 100% operator failure. I returned it. Not bad, my fault.
    billyg