Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp shortage

Options
Stock up now before prices go even higher. Locally they are predicting a 50% increase in the coming months. Good news is lobster is at an 11year low in price (picked up some tails for dinner tonight). http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/16/news/economy/shrimp-prices/

Comments

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    Marketing hype! Like that old winter blend/summer blend/plant upgrade/bla bla bla story when they jack up gasoline each year :P
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    The shrimp shortage is due to some Asian shrimp disease.  I only buy Gulf shrimp anyway.  Maybe their prices will increase some,  but not as much as the Asian market in most of the country.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    VI, if the Asian shrimp become dear, the Gulf shrimp will increase in price. I buy Gulf shrimp in Philly, and I'm not expecting the price to remain the same.

Dry scallops increased in the last two weeks. Almost beyond what I will pay, though I love them dearly. (Don't cook them on the egg.)
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    jlsm said:
    VI, if the Asian shrimp become dear, the Gulf shrimp will increase in price. 
    Jl.  I think that's what I said.  H.E.B. has their own shrimp boats, and they shrimp exclusively for H.E.B.  With an Asian shortage, there may be a price pressure on the H.E.B. shrimp, but not too severe, IMHO.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Options
    jlsm said:

Dry scallops increased in the last two weeks. Almost beyond what I will pay, though I love them dearly. (Don't cook them on the egg.)
    Huh?  Dry scallops are the only scallops I will cook on the Egg.  I won't cook wet scallops.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Coastalcooker
    Options
    They're $3.10 down the street this week. That's up from $3.00 a week or so ago. Looking at the docks last week, a lot of boats are fishing so there must be shrimp.
    Living on the coast, I do not like the taste of anything other than wild ocean shrimp. If you fry them with enough batter, it makes no difference.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

jlsm said:

Huh?  Dry scallops are the only scallops I will cook on the Egg.  I won't cook wet scallops.

I won't even touch wet scallops, period.