Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time St. Louis style ribs and Bad Byron's questions

Options
My sons are going back to school and requested ribs. I saw St. Louis style and thought I would give it a try. My research indicates that I cook them like I do my baby backs. Also, while on vacation in Florida, I picked up some bad Byron's Butt Rub. I have never cooked/used either, so I have some questions. I I don't use foil on my ribs, I am planning on about six hours of low and slow at 225-250 I chose that because everyone says just add time. It usually takes me five to do baby backs. Is that about right or does it not take THAT long? Next I read for ribs, bad Byron's is too salty, but I don't know what ratio to cut with turbinado sugar. I was going 1-1 but may do 2-1 sugar to BB. does anyone have suggestions? My kids like it sweet and not necessarily spicy. The ribs already appear trimmed. Any other insight would be appreciated.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    1) the ribs are trimmed (that's what St Lou ribs are -trimmed spares)
    2) They may take longer than baby backsbecause spares have more meat on the bone but 5-hrs at 225 sounds normal to me
    3) Bad Byron's can be salty if you over do it. I only use it on brisket so not sure how it will be on ribs. It' pretty good but don't cake it on
    4) have a lovely day :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Your cook times are in the range as noted by Cen-Tex and the finish indicators are the same-bend test to 90*+ or toothpick-in and out with no resistance in the meatiest part of the ribs.  Your sons obviously appreciate your cooking so that is a big plus regardless of the outcome.  Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Options
    I went with a 1-1 ratio of turbinado sugar and Byron's. I am cooking three racks. I thought the grid and an extender would be enough but they were pretty big so I had to use my rib rack. Does everyone keep their ribs in the rack the whole time or do y'all lay them flat after they've smoked a while?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Beaumonty said:
    I went with a 1-1 ratio of turbinado sugar and Byron's. I am cooking three racks. I thought the grid and an extender would be enough but they were pretty big so I had to use my rib rack. Does everyone keep their ribs in the rack the whole time or do y'all lay them flat after they've smoked a while?

I leave them in the whole timeif I use the rack. . Sometimes I flip them if they apear to be cooking unevenly. I do sauce at the end of my cooks so I'll lay them flat 2 racks atat time for 10-15 minutes to sauce them.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    I do a 1-1 that I use in my butts and we and others love it
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.