Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wing dilemma

jlsm
jlsm Posts: 1,011
I have a scheduling problem: I need to serve wings 45 minutes after I arrive home. Would you cook halfway and chill, then finish right before eating? Cook completely, warm up in the oven and sauce? I have no option about the choice of food or timing.
Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

Comments

• CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    I would cook completely, then warm up in the oven.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...I would essentially cook til complete w/o the saucing piece then get home, fire up the BGE (knowing that to get to your cook temp w/o the bad smoke will take 20-30 mins) sauce cook and serve.  And for the future, I would push for more time-good luck but wings are quite forgiving.  Enjoy1 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I have a friend with a BBQ joint that does wings.  He smokes them in the morning and refrigerates them.  Then he puts them in the frier to heat and crisp them up at the point of order.  Then he sauces them.

They are fantastic, and one of his big sellers.

Maybe that's an option for you.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2013
    Agree with @Greenhawk - We've done this with chicken drumsticks as well, provided they were just smoked, no sauce. Nuke 'em for a minute or two on a low power to warm them a bit, then drop in the deep fryer to crisp the skin. Takes only a minute or two to crisp up, so we pre-warm. Wings are even better, however we seldom have leftovers. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BobsBGE
    BobsBGE Posts: 99
    Agree with @Greenhawk - We've done this with chicken drumsticks as well, provided they were just smoked, no sauce. Nuke 'em for a minute or two on a low power to warm them a bit, then drop in the deep fryer to crisp the skin. Takes only a minute or two to crisp up, so we pre-warm. Wings are even better, however we seldom have leftovers. 
    I was thinking of having wings for dinner tomorrow.  This looks like a great idea so I'll try it out.
    Fayetteville, Ga