Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any BBQ Guru temp control users out there?

Options
SfScott
SfScott Posts: 11
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
I just got a CyberQ WiFi unit, and I am planning to use it on a brisket cook on Sunday.  There are lots of choices and parameters in setting it up as well as mechanical settings like the damper, cycle time and prop band.

Please tell me what works best in your experience and any lessons learned or words to the wise.

I have yet to calibrate using the hot and cold water steps.

Looking forward to your help.  I am especially interested in where/how you adjust the vents on the iron top cap.

Comments

• dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    Options
    Use it as it comes out of the box and you will be fine. Probe on the grid but not to close to the meat. The damper setting depends on how much wind you have, I normally have mine set to about half. I have the DFMT open about a ¼ to ½. I light my lump set my Cyber Q temp and let it do it's thing. Your gonna love it. Also if you have an Andriod phone, The PitPal App Rocks. As crazzy as it sounds I use my Cyber Q on both my Large And Mini. If you have any more ?'s feel free to ask

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• AmericanFlannel
    Options
    I set my damper at 1/4" for 250 to 300 degrees. It took a lot of trial and error to figure out I should have just listened to people here first :)
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Like the others, I have found a wide open damper can cause some issues with runaway temps. I set it so I can fit my finger tip under the tab. Probably a lot like what the others have mentioned. Probe placement is critical, and you may need to play with that a little.
    Happy guru-ing!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options

I've found on my XL I have the damper at about 1/8th open and the daisywheel almost completely closed to hold 225 grid which is my go to temp for low and slow.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• SfScott
    SfScott Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks everyone.  Do you leave the metal sleeve in all the time, or remove it for grilling steaks, starting up the egg, etc?

Do you let the blower run while starting up?

What is the consensus on ideal probe placement for pit temperature?

As for the daisy wheel on top of the egg, I assume you keep the large opening closed and just a little of the wheel opening showing?
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Personally, I remove the metal sleeve adapter when I'm not using the guru.  When I'm not using it, I'm doing higher temp cooks and need the higher air flow down below.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    My friends at the Guru have always said just let the fan bring the cooker up to temp. I am a little anal...I will not put the fan on until I get to my target temp manually, and am confident that the guru probe is in the right place. I personally like it about 3-4 inches from the meat and at least 6 inches from the outside of the grate. But sometimes I need to move it around. All depends on how the air is swirling through your Egg with your current setup and meat.

Have fun!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ