Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much lump?

Setting up for first overnight butt cook can I fill up the egg to the top of fire-ring (above firebox) or is this too much lump?? The oval stone will only be about 2 inches above the fire ??
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    What size are you using? 

If you are using a smaller one I would say you just about have to fill it up all the way to the top of the fire ring or risk running out. 

I typically run out on an overnight cook with my small... but it also has the least amount of room for charcoal lol. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited August 2013
    @Adamd asked a good?  But independent of the size, you can not load too much lump (as long as you are not over the top of the fire ring) on an indirect cook.  The fire volume on a low&slow is air-flow limited in size and is a very small amount of the total lump volume.  That's how the BGE can runf or 20-30 hours without a fuel reload.  So, load it up but don't get too much burning on start-up (about the size of a grapefruit works) before starting to limit the fire with the dampers/DFMT and close in on the desired (calibrated-key word) dome temp.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • You can't load too much. Load er up! I clean my egg out before a long smoke and then load her to the top

XLBGE 
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Large egg loaded almost to top of fire-ring stabilizing at 250 right now !!! Putting the the two  butts on at eleven and hopefully off tomorrow around noon!!!!

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    This time of year, just into into fire ring is plenty as long as good lump. Watch the lump burn. Sometimes with too much lump, the burn goes straight down and can cause problems. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • CANMAN1976
    Here they are rubbed with red eye and one with swamp venom.Using maple leaf lump:)

Damn iPhone pics... To late and to tired to fix the pics!
    More pics in AM:)

• lousubcap
    @CANMAN1976-with two in the equation, realize they don't behave like identical twins.  Each will cook on its own pace-and the lighter one could take a good hour or more to finish beyond the other.  Check each as they get into the 190's and go from there.  Good eats await!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    I've never filled mine higher than the top of the fire box and never ran out of fuel on 18-22 hr cooks. For some reason, I thought I was not supposed to go above that into the fire ring, but it looks like plenty of people do it.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    Don't think your going to be eating pulled pork at noon tomorrow, Thats only 13 hours, Also I have never been able to figure out how you guys keep your food on the grill when you have em upside down :))

Large egg loaded almost to top of fire-ring stabilizing at 250 right now !!! Putting the the two  butts on at eleven and hopefully off tomorrow around noon!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• CANMAN1976
    @162deg holding at 250 at 0518AM:)
    Going to crank her up at 8 am to get thr this stall thingy :)

• CANMAN1976
    172 deg at 8am.
    Thunder showers not helping!!

• CANMAN1976
    Ok so I must be in the stall now cause im stuck at 178 for awhile now. I need to speed this up can I keep the Mav in up to 300-325 deg ? The probes are wrapped in foil and this is an indirect cook.Got to get me ribs on round noon.(

• CANMAN1976
    Ready for phase #2:)
    Only six more degrees for the Butts!!!!

• dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    Nota problem with the probs

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• CANMAN1976
    How long can I FTC these butts safely.Not wanting to eat till five so thats five hours from now???

• lousubcap
    Four-six hours should be easily achievable-just wrap each one in foil and then when loading the cooler use towels/blankets to eliminate the extra air space and once shut do not open til ready to pull.  You can tape the lid shut to reduce the chance of the inadvertant opening.  You are fine.  Enjoy the eats!  Besides if you are concerned you can run the butts (each behaving on their own) to the low 200's before declaring victory!
  • CANMAN1976
    edited August 2013
    So the ribs are on chugging away at 250 seems like I had to open the Vents a little more to maintain that temp this round guess the butt cook made some ash. how do you do multiple cooks on the same fire? I have to cook chicken after this should I stir the lump and top up with new lump or just crank the temperature up a bit to compensate for any ash below??

• CANMAN1976
    Pic!

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Wow!  Looks good!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • lousubcap
    edited August 2013
    Guessing that all cooks so far are indirect low&slow-don't know how you plan to cook the chix but when I go from the low&slow to hot&fast when I remove the platesetter besides having the landing area for the platesetter ready I just adjust the vents for the higher temp.  Lump ash build-up over the course of a 14-18 hour low&slow should not inhibit air-flow for a hot&fast if you started with an empty ash pit.  YMMV-
  • CANMAN1976
    Going to go indirect at 400 for an hour on the chicken. I usually do for 400 raised direct but today I want to use the stone as I don't want any burning drippings...with company and all!!!

Poured first drink it's been a long nite/day!!

• CANMAN1976
    Guess we are real eggheads now....lol

• CANMAN1976
    Yeah booze kickin in
    Now....lol

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Looks like a good day on the "Rock", buy! Have fun, it looks like it is all goin' to plan (as if there ever was such a t'ing)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    No worries with the adult supervisory beverages-light the BGE lump and time for the adult beverage; food on and time for the adult beverage.  Then as needed/required for proper supervisory hydration.  And yes the extended duration low&slows can finish in a different space then when started-but that's part of the fun/challenge.  FWIW- (BTW-time of day does not influence the above).
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    When using Ozark Oak I place around 5 medium size pieces in... Burn all night.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    henapple said:
    Now the B.S. is gettin deep in here. I'm sure it takes at least 6 or 7 peices.
    :))

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    henapple said:
    That's about right, they make that crap with old fence posts so you get about 8 pieces to the bag....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CANMAN1976
    Well burned for 18hrs on the one load of maple leaf....very impresive!!!

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited August 2013
    henapple said:
    Ok, just to increase the BS level another notch, if you have read the Tao of Charcoal and achieved whatever one achieves once one has achieved it, you know that charcoal masters put no pieces in and they last all night.  I might have to add another book to the Tao.  The Book of BS.  :))

The Naked Whiz