Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pecan wood +Spatchcock Chicken = WIN

Made a spatchcock chicken last night like I have done may times.  Used Jake's coffe rub (like many times before).  But this time I threw in some Pecan chips. 

Result - AMAZING - Skin was darker than normal, very crispy but the chicken had a buttery taste that was really good.

I know pics or it didn't happen.  But it did - trust me.

BTW - On Topic subject.

Garnerville, NY
·

Comments

• FiremanyzFiremanyz Posts: 614
    Great to know, I just picked up a bag of pecan chunks this week from gander mountain. Can't wait to try it.
    ·
  • bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 739

Did you brine the chicken? How long was it in the egg? Temp and direct/indirect?

I have pecan chunks so maybe I can try it these days.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,795
    8 lb bird - 14 hours uncovered in the fridge - direct very raised 400

1.5 hours.

it was the first time trying the pecan - hooked.

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,467
    edited August 2013
    Just an idea for next time. Do the same amount of chips but a 50/50 mix of your pecan with cherry. Have used this for years and sure works here. The cherry gives an even darker color. . Also next time substitute a small spatchcocked turkey done the same way.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,846
    I will have to give this a try if I can find some Pecan.  Thanks!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • FiremanyzFiremanyz Posts: 614
    @smokeypitt
    I just found pecan chuncks at gander mountain if you have one near you.
    ·
  • AcnAcn Posts: 1,000
    @smokeypitt, my local Home Depot has pecan chunks. Amazon too.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

·