Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump reducing ring in a xl

Options
Does anyone use a reducing ring to save on lump for the xl. If so did you diy one?

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Want mine, it is a complete waste.  Just load the lump you want, you don't need a ring.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Ya I did, DIY. Sorry man could not resist......Lol. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I agree with doc, either load what you need or only light under what you are cooking.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Doc is a top chef and you can trust what he says. I do.

That being said, I got a ring about 8 months ago and haven't taken it out since. It is superior in evey way.

At a min, I'd say its worth a try.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Hey @Doc_Eggerton, have you ever used your ring for a wok cook? I was thinking about having one made up for the wok so I could limit the singed forearms. If it's not helpful I don't bother.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    I bought one. Don't bother. You can have mine for $20 plus shipping
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Hey @Doc_Eggerton, have you ever used your ring for a wok cook? I was thinking about having one made up for the wok so I could limit the singed forearms. If it's not helpful I don't bother.

Cheers
    B_B
    I use a Woo.  This is the best thing the Ceramic Grill Store sells.  Possibly my most important accessory.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

I doesn't matter if you only use half the fire box, or the whole fire box.......you still need to heat the same amount of space on the inside of the XL.

The ones I've seen before are the same diameter of the fire grate in the XL.....18".  The grate is 22".  So you reduce by 2" on each side???  Is that really going to do anything?

The only time I can see reducing the area is if you JUST want to sear something.  Then you could just get a ripping fire in a corner without lighting up the whole thing.  But if you still have lump in the egg, are you going to remove it, put the ring or fire bricks in, then load it again?  That's a good excuse to buy a second Egg!

The Big Joe and the Primo both have ceramic dividers that slide in the firebox.  Kind of cool...... 

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    The CGS ring is about 14" in diameter. It pairs up well with a larger wok on a spider or Woo2. Same for a paella pan about the same size diameter. In my experience with mine, I believe it helps in reducing the "cooked forearm" that can occur in a wok or paella cook. That said, you can also pile your lump in a smaller diameter and get a similar effect.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    I don't...I could see where it would work but I also could see where almost every accessory would work..when do you stop??? 
  • Btbeam
    Btbeam Posts: 25
    Options
    Seems like something I may wait for thanks for the input. This is all new to me soi appreciate the help
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    The lump rings are an aid to help manage small cooks in the xl egg.  The CGS ring is approx. 14 inches in diameter and holds about as much lump as the large bge firebox. It's sized to work with BGE's medium cast iron grid, woks on rings or bayou classic's blackening skillets.  Handy to sear right above the lump.

It takes less than two minutes to set and fill. With latex gloves on (same gloves one wears to prep the meat) wiggle it down into the lump, grab the lump outside the ring and put inside, add new lump if needed and light in multiple spots.  Toss gloves and keep moving.

The biggest comment I hear from prospective xl owners is: The xl cooker is to big for our normal size cooks but we want the extra room for parties or Q cooks.  Normal being a couple steaks/burgers or a chicken.  The rings are a simple way to provide a constant grilling/lump area for these smaller cooks.   Since the rings coral the lump, you can have a constant level burn, no mounding affect, so more consistent temperatures across the entire 14" cooking  area.  This is a plus on searing.  Having the lump in the middle of the cooker, provides a more normal cooking experience within the cooker and aids in air flow for the lump.  It can save on lump.  For some, these are important features when grilling small in an xl size cooker. 

I don't think I've ever used it and wondered how hot the ceramic dome or base is.  It's not so much about heating up the cooker or air inside the cooker, it's about what's going on right at the grid.  

The biggest hurdle in using it taking the extra second or two and actually use it.  I just keep mine in the egg, as almost all my grilling cooks are small.   There are only 3 in the family.  Having a consistent grilling area from cook to cook is a big plus for me. 

t       

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Goatsegg
    Goatsegg Posts: 113
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I got a lump reducing ring from CGS and really like it. I use it for smaller cooks and like that it constrains the radius of the heat source. I had my egg for a while before I got the ring and agree that you can just make a smaller fire. Since I got the ring, I have kept it in the grill unless I'm doing a low and slow or cooking a for a crowd. XL rig and Woo kicks ass, too. Great stuff at CGS.
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

I'm not a big fan of the XL......I don't use mine very much.  When doing 4 butts, 2 packer briskets, or 2 turkeys.....that's when I use it.  But otherwise, if I had it to do over again, I would have two Larges in place of the XL.

As my children are eating more and more now, I'm using the medium even less--that used to be the most used one.

Three Larges--that's how I would do it in hindsight.  But the M, L, and XL, (and Rebel23), will work for now.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Small cooks I'lll just use the left over lump and burn that.  I just pile up the lump in the front of my cooker when that's all I need.  I could see it being handy for wokking, since the ring would keep the fire centered below the wok.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.