Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket timing help

yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
Wanting to have a 10 pounder for the dinner tomorrow. I'm expecting it to take 12 hours give or take. One of my maverick probes is dead so I was thinking about getting it on around 6 am so I don't have to use the maverick over night. I guess if time gets cutting short I'll wrap it. Otherwise, I was going to start it at midnight and ftc the extra time. Leaning towards sleeping the night and getting up early. Thoughts from those of you seasoned brisket guys?
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• If you can get up at 5 and get it going, you can do that. I usually put them on at like midnight-1am and slow roll them overnight. I sleep like a baby.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • yzzi
    Do you find that better quality (fatty) briskets finish faster?
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi said:
    Do you find that better quality (fatty) briskets finish faster?
    no. They are all their own critter

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I'd plan on 12 hour cook plus 1 hour in the cooler. If the cook goes fast, then more time in cooler. If the cook is running late, then foil after the brisket starts coming out of the stall. Coming out of the stall will take about 2 hours to get to 195ish.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tjv said:
    I'd plan on 12 hour cook plus 1 hour in the cooler. If the cook goes fast, then more time in cooler. If the cook is running late, then foil after the brisket starts coming out of the stall. Coming out of the stall will take about 2 hours to get to 195ish.  

t
    Agree- Assuming you are cooking at 250 or a little north of that. I find like 260-275 is about 1hr per lb for me most times

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    I put at 10 pounder on this morning at 9:30 am at 275F. At 1:30 pm it was at 170F in the flat. I removed the point, wrapped it, and threw it back on. At 4:00 pm it was 195-205F so FTCed. Removed it from cooler an hour ago and we're sitting down to eat now at 7:00 pm.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    @Steve-what happened to the flat?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • yzzi
    So midnight at 225-250 might stretch it out some to make it till 4 or 5?
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi said:
    So midnight at 225-250 might stretch it out some to make it till 4 or 5?
    yep. If you are comfortable holding low temps overnight then go low (225ish). You can always bump in the afternoon as you get close. 

If not, get up early and go 260 ish
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Yizzi, have you started using all your new stuff?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • yzzi
    I'm getting there, but it's going to take me a little bit more since I only get to egg on the weekends these days. Using the r&b on this which I'm excited about as I was able to sell my pacesetter. Been enjoying the goodies for sure :-D
    Dunedin, FL
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Lou, I was talking about the flat though I see now it reads like the point. We also diced the point and threw it on with some chicken at 6:30 pm. So, our 10 pounder took 6-1/2 hrs to FTC, no overnight needed.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Don't want to hijack the thread but thanks for the follow-up.  Dang that is a quick cook-all's well that ends well and you can never trust those briskies.  Enjoy the weekend!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • yzzi
    Good thing I started the egg early. It's so humid out I can barely get it to light. Took three shots with the looftlight, but I think I'm finally getting something here.
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi
    I should have just gotten up. Woke up at 4:50 with a fire still going, but only at 170 . Not sure if humidity is throwing things off or if the charcoal is stubbornly refusing to light and spread . It is wicked good (the old stuff) so who knows.
    Dunedin, FL