Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Help - pork butt stuck at 164

RLP443RLP443 Posts: 24
First time post and doing my first pork butt. I have had (2) 9lb butts on since midnight so almost 11 hours now. The dome temp has been a steady 225 - 250 and the butts have been stalled at 164 for 6 hours now. Any suggestions? I am hoping I can get these done in the next 6 hours
Rochester Hills, MI
·

Comments

• CharlesmaneriCharlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    hang in there it will come out of the stall and will slowly come up to temp ,remember this is a low and slow cook 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • RLP443RLP443 Posts: 24
    Thanks, my wife will kick my arse if these don't finish in time
    Rochester Hills, MI
    ·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,796
    You can bump the temp a little to 275 an you will be OK.  You are in the stall.  They can be quick, they can be multiple they can last a looooonnnnggg time.

Garnerville, NY
    ·
    Thanks I bumped it
    Rochester Hills, MI
    ·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    bumping it is fine. At this stage, take it too 300 if you want.  Just make sure its done.
    Cookin in Texas
    ·
    Let us know how it turns out.
    Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,542
    According to Elder Ward, you won't hurt the butt now with higher heat. I took mine to 400 after 13 hours. Took another 4 hours to hit 200 internal. Buts were awesome.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
    Will do! Still stuck at 164 for now 7.5 hrs
    Rochester Hills, MI
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,542
    Once it starts to move, it will move fairly quickly - takes a while for the heat to penetrate.  Assume you do have your temp probe in a suitable location

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
  • scarri3rscarri3r Posts: 29
    I love the "low and slow" method but I think "hot and fast" might be the way to go when the wife is threatening to kick ur arse.   325-350 for 2 1/2 or 3 hours ( reach 160 internal ) -  foil for another 1 1/2 -2 hours so that you reach 190 - take out of smoker and glaze it up with your favorite butt glaze. Back on the egg to let it dwell in the shell until it hits 200 -205 internal.  Take off of egg and let sit for an hour and then pull away.
    ·
  • scarri3rscarri3r Posts: 29
    By the way... you may want to foil it now that it's at 164 F and save your bark...I would crank it up to 325 since you are pressed for time.  Just watch your internal temps.
    ·
    Thanks everyone! It's done and for my first one I learned a ton! Barks a bit thick but I am happy with it
    image.jpg 2.7M
    Rochester Hills, MI
    ·
    Looks great - Mrs Boatbum would kill for that bark job.
    Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,854
    Looks like a winner!! BTW - I like a good thick piece of bark with good crunch.

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • MklineMkline Posts: 177
    Looks great! Nothing better then a good butt off the egg!
    ·