Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help!!! Dinner for 12 to 20 that will sit from 3 to 7 hours

I am looking for some suggestions beyond Pulled Pork or Brisket.    A couple of times each summer I do Dinner for 12 to 20 people at a freinds lake cabin or at my mom's house.   Both are 2 hours from my house.    I have been doing pulled pork or brisket but I get tired of cooking the same thing.    Can anyone suggest something that I can cook here, leave the house around 9am and that will sit well for Supper at 5 or 6pm.   
Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Pulled beef?

Garnerville, NY
  • I've been kicking around the idea of doing a whole suckling pig. I used the dreaded search function and found threads using both a large and an XL.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Chicken and Beef fajitas?  Cook and reheat?
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • Holding something for that long is difficult.  Sounds like you need a small egg to load up and take with you and cook there.  Then you could cook a bunch of marinated pork tenderloins, and serve hot on the sweet hawaiin rolls.
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Holding something for that long is difficult.  Sounds like you need a small egg to load up and take with you and cook there.  Then you could cook a bunch of marinated pork tenderloins, and serve hot on the sweet hawaiin rolls.

I was thinking a smaller egg.    Can you talk to my wife?
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    I've been kicking around the idea of doing a whole suckling pig. I used the dreaded search function and found threads using both a large and an XL.
    That would not fly with the wife but I like the thought.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Boneless, skinless thighs? You can keep cold and bring to room temp. I use a rub of 2 part sage to 1 part rosemary, 1 thyme and 1.5 salt with a few grinds of pepper. Steep in olive oil to make a slurry. Cook flat at 400 direct about 3 minutes a side. Fantastic.  
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I did for more than that a few months ago. Very easy. Naked Ham and spatchcocked turkey. Got the bases covered with very easy cooks.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.