Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer with WiFi

Options
Alright.  So, I had a butt get away from me last night.  Dome temp was 250 when I went to bed, but I woke up at 6 am to 410.  Meat was 205 after just 7 hours - dry and tasteless.  So frustrating; should have stuck with tradition and gotten up at 2 am to check.  So I am now trying a turbo butt now to recover for supper tonight.

With that being said, I really was a thermometer with two probes - one for meat and one for dome that connects via WiFi, so I can monitor it from my phone.  What are my options here.  I would prefer a budget of sub-$100, but I need to know what exists.  I have done a little looking, but just wanted to get some thoughts.

Thanks.

Comments

• chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    Options
    i GRILL will let you monitor from your phone via blue tooth not wifi. You could always get a cyber q. If you want to drop almost 500 dollars.

• Slobberdog
    Options
    You may want to consider getting a temp controller to keep the fire from getting away from you or going out on longer cooks. Then you won't be up all night checking the Egg OR looking at your phone. Here is a thread discussing the Pitmaster IQ 110 which can be had for about $150.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1230097/#Comment_1230097
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options

The other low price alternative is the Auber controller--several have recently purchased, about $145.  Here is thread on it:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1155809/auber-pit-controller#latest

Of course you can read detailed product reviews on all the controllers, including those with wifi control, on nakedwhiz site.

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    edited August 2013
    Options

I use a Maverick for that purpose, Range throughout the inside of the house seems to be fine.   Has its own receiving unit, does not use the phone.

Note, temp controllers are a different topic that temp display.  

I will probably get a temp controller this next year, but for different purposes.

Saw the iGrill in a Verizon phone store ( not where I would have expected).   Reading the packaging - seemed to be what you are looking for except it is Blue Tooth.

Does anyone know what protocol the Maverick is using?  Is that Blue Tooth?

Cookin in Texas
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options

It's a little on the pricey side, but I purchased a stoker late last year and love it!

https://www.rocksbarbque.com/

I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • cdthomas23
    Options
    Thanks, guys.  I forgot to check Naked Whiz.  I will check out some other options as well.  And SmokinTiger, I am a fellow Clemson Tiger.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Or just Turbo all the cooks that were overnight. Works for me.... Just saying... Oh, I get to sleep all night now.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Options
    DigiQ DX2 it is pricey, but it is like a babysitter for your egg. It will control your pit temp, so you sleep well at night. I found a used one for $200 on this forum. New they are $300-350. If you do a lot of low and slow cooks, i think it is money well spent.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • cdthomas23
    Options
    I agree, Mickey.  I was a little skeptical, but the Turbo Butt saved my butt tonight.  It was moist, flavorful, awesome.  Thanks for the instructions on this, and I will probably go this route again next time.  Pulled pork in less than 6 hours plus 2.5 hours in the cooler awaiting company to arrive.