Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Major, enormous OT.

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Thinking of switching from comcast go direct TV. Anyone have direct?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• We do. I hate satellite period, but I suppose we are satisfied.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • We've got it also.  Cable co wouldn't run cable the 900' we are off the road so satelite was our only option.  Other than losing signal during heavy rain, don't have much to complain about.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• banjoman
    banjoman Posts: 51
    I have Direct and enjoy it.  Great picture quality but you will lose service in a bad storm.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    Made the switch from cable to directv in 2006-echo SWVA with the very heavy rain signal interruptions but that's about the only down-side.  Picture quality is better than cable (IMO) and customer service is above average (last time I used it-well over a year ago).  No equipment issues. Being a new customer you will get some amazing savings for your efforts. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I have had it for a few years and don't have any complaints. The genie is pretty cool and Red Zone is a must if you enjoy NFL. You can usually get that for free the first year when you sign up.
    I hate all things associated with Time Warner Cable.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited August 2013
    We had Dish Network & went back to Comcast. Why? Heavy rain &heavy snow where you have to broom the roof mounted dish clean. I know the snow is not a big issue for you in TN. We live a mile or so from the airport and when the wind is right, they fly low over the house. Yep, we lose signal when the big boys fly over low and slow.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I absolutely hate Comcast but I must be a psychopath to keep giving them 200 bucks a month. I'm just worried about streaming video on DSL. That is my only other option.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    I had a bad experience with direct tv. Ended up going with Comcast and am happy with them. No more outages during bad weather!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I absolutely hate Comcast but I must be a psychopath to keep giving them 200 bucks a month. I'm just worried about streaming video on DSL. That is my only other option.
    I got so mad at Comcast a few months ago due to them jacking up the price every couple of months, I told them to drop the cable and just keep the internet.  They sent me to a "save" team and dropped my monthly bill by over $90.  Comcast's internet speeds are amazing - that is the only part I would miss.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    We moved from TWC to DirecTV a few years ago.  We won't be going back anytime soon.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    It does no good to ask a forum with people from other locations.  They may get great reception, but you have power lines nearby, and get lousy reception from interference.  Also, economically, different areas have different incentives.

Ask your neighbors.  Oh, but I'm full of ****.  What do I know?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Call and yell at Comcast and threaten to leave. My wife does this every year when they try to bump the price and they reduce it and offer an incentive to stay for another year.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• henapple

It does no good to ask a forum with people from other locations.  They may get great reception, but you have power lines nearby, and get lousy reception from interference.  Also, economically, different areas have different incentives.

Ask your neighbors.  Oh, but I'm full of ****.  What do I know?
    Shut up..
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    We've had Direct since we moved 2 years ago.  We like it fine.  Reception is good, have had very rare service disruptions in heavy storms.  Customer service is good.  My biggest issue is that when we had cable we had bundled TV and internet service -- hated RCN for cable, but the internet was fine.  In our area, Direct does bundled packages with AT&T and their DSL seems slow.  This is an issue for watching TV because when you watch something On Demand through Direct, the content is downloaded over your internet connect. So while regular service is tied to the satellite, anything On Demand (free or paid movies) requires a good connection.  HD programming takes us a long time to download.  
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    We've been with DirecTV for More than 10 years. We think there are great! Picture quality and equipment is very good. The customer service is outstanding! They have always been willing to upgrade equipment when new technology is released and I've always been able to negotiate lower prices or additional channels/features whenever I call.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• henapple
    I'll keep comcast for Internet. My neighbor says only in bad storms does he have a problem.. Happy VI?
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    henapple said:
    I'll keep comcast for Internet. My neighbor says only in bad storms does he have a problem.. Happy VI?
    I'm only happy when you lose your internet connection.   :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    edited August 2013
    not much works well for me without wires living close to the lake, rain fog lightning screw up the direct tv and cell phones. i literally record the football games from comcast at home if im up at camp where we have direct tv.  that old pingpong screen drives me nuts up there, i think it even causes me to drink.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Love DirecTV. I love to watch golf/tennis and during the major tournaments, DTV has 4-5 channels that show special coverages (marquee groups, matches, Amen Corner, etc.). Won't be switching to cable anytime soon.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    The only good thing when we had DirecTV was knowing that it would soon be raining as the picture would go out 15 minutes before the rain arrived  
    Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • We have Dish.  Our experience is that the first guy to show up to install/repair can't do sh*t, but not to fear.  He can call someone who can do sh*t.  Of course, the first guy always waits until 5pm to call the second guy, so sometimes you have to hold dinner  or wait until the next day.  I tried asking if they could just send the second guy first, but they said they have to send the first guy first.  :-)
    The Naked Whiz
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    not much works well for me without wires living close to the lake, rain fog lightning screw up the direct tv and cell phones. i literally record the football games from comcast at home if im up at camp where we have direct tv.  that old pingpong screen drives me nuts up there, i think it even causes me to drink.
    ping pong screen? Dude, upgrade. A lot has happened since Pong.  ;)
  • We have Dish.  Our experience is that the first guy to show up to install/repair can't do sh*t, but not to fear.  He can call someone who can do sh*t.  Of course, the first guy always waits until 5pm to call the second guy, so sometimes you have to hold dinner  or wait until the next day.  I tried asking if they could just send the second guy first, but they said they have to send the first guy first.  :-)

I always get the "first guy" in most things. If we call Comcast for service, we get the "first guy". If we go to the market, we get stuck in the "first guy's" check out lane. The world is full of "first guys" and I seem to attract them.
    Flint, Michigan
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674

ping pong screen? Dude, upgrade. A lot has happened since Pong.  ;)
    thats what my sreen turns into when the signals lost

Blip...........Blip...........BlipBlip...........Blip.......
    :)) Oh it gets better, the dvd player at camp turns every movie into black and white
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    I'll get one year at $70, next at 100...but my neighbor told me the third year his jumped to $140....Idk
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Have been with Dish for ever. Finally broke down and have just ordered the EPBfi - fiberoptic grid in Chattanooga. They do the TV, phone and Internet through it. Sky is the limit.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• henapple
    Can't do Dish Network... No Walking Dead. Jake would neuter me.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    @henapple-I have not seen directv prioce increases like you mention.  I'm sure you can deal for something more stable-and you should get the free HD  install and multiple DVR's etc.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    We have U-verse now which we love, but had DirecTV prior and liked it too.  DirecTV would be my second choice behind U-verse and I've had 'em all at one time or another.  Be careful upon installation that they don't nickel and dime you beyond the introductory cost.  They tried that with me.  And also the initial installer did something wrong with the connection to the main TV and they tried to charge me for a service call to send someone out to fix it.  Other than that, the picture and programming is good.  Our weather outages were minimal really and only really noticed them in a really bad storm. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Had Dish for just over 6 years.  Very happy with their technology, service, channel choice.  We get a lot of rain here in the Willamette Valley, but it's not a problem.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon