Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Help - pork butt stuck at 164

RLP443RLP443 Posts: 24
First time post and doing my first pork butt. I have had (2) 9lb butts on since midnight so almost 11 hours now. The dome temp has been a steady 225 - 250 and the butts have been stalled at 164 for 6 hours now. Any suggestions? I am hoping I can get these done in the next 6 hours
Rochester Hills, MI
·

Comments

• CharlesmaneriCharlesmaneri Posts: 1,284
    hang in there it will come out of the stall and will slowly come up to temp ,remember this is a low and slow cook 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • RLP443RLP443 Posts: 24
    Thanks, my wife will kick my arse if these don't finish in time
    Rochester Hills, MI
    ·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,736
    You can bump the temp a little to 275 an you will be OK.  You are in the stall.  They can be quick, they can be multiple they can last a looooonnnnggg time.

Garnerville, NY
    ·
    Thanks I bumped it
    Rochester Hills, MI
    ·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    bumping it is fine. At this stage, take it too 300 if you want.  Just make sure its done.
    Cookin in Texas
    ·
    Let us know how it turns out.
    Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,459
    According to Elder Ward, you won't hurt the butt now with higher heat. I took mine to 400 after 13 hours. Took another 4 hours to hit 200 internal. Buts were awesome.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
    Will do! Still stuck at 164 for now 7.5 hrs
    Rochester Hills, MI
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,459
    Once it starts to move, it will move fairly quickly - takes a while for the heat to penetrate.  Assume you do have your temp probe in a suitable location

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
  • scarri3rscarri3r Posts: 29
    I love the "low and slow" method but I think "hot and fast" might be the way to go when the wife is threatening to kick ur arse.   325-350 for 2 1/2 or 3 hours ( reach 160 internal ) -  foil for another 1 1/2 -2 hours so that you reach 190 - take out of smoker and glaze it up with your favorite butt glaze. Back on the egg to let it dwell in the shell until it hits 200 -205 internal.  Take off of egg and let sit for an hour and then pull away.
    ·
  • scarri3rscarri3r Posts: 29
    By the way... you may want to foil it now that it's at 164 F and save your bark...I would crank it up to 325 since you are pressed for time.  Just watch your internal temps.
    ·
    Thanks everyone! It's done and for my first one I learned a ton! Barks a bit thick but I am happy with it
    image.jpg 2.7M
    Rochester Hills, MI
    ·
    Looks great - Mrs Boatbum would kill for that bark job.
    Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,269
    Looks like a winner!! BTW - I like a good thick piece of bark with good crunch.

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • MklineMkline Posts: 177
    Looks great! Nothing better then a good butt off the egg!
    ·