Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Auber Pit Controller

Folks,

Just ordered an Auber Pit Controller. I do have a Maverick, so just wanted something to control the heat temperature for now. Looking at the manuals I downloaded from their website, I do not see any instructions on how to install it on the LBGE. I hope it is fairly simple. Just wanted an idea on how to slide the adapter in on the bottom vent. 

Also for those who have this how do you use it initially?
1. Do you start the fire and then wait until you get a good fire going and then put in your platesetter/grates etc
2. Do you wait for the egg to stabilize at the required temperature (ie. lets say 250)?
3. Finally do you then attach the Auber to the vent and set the temperature/alarms etc?

Tried looking for YouTube videos and used serch engines, but could not get any details. Please let me know how to do the initial setup.

Thanks!
LBGE & Mini
Orlando, FL

Comments

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    I have one I haven't used it enough to be an expert. I usually let the smoke clear and let it get close to where I want to cook then hook it up. Let it stabilize them put your food on. No problem with 5 hour ribs or overnight butts

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• I just ordered and received one, and will use Labor Day weekend on overnight for first time.  It comes with an insert that fits in the egg vent track, and then the fan snaps into a pre cut rectangular hole with a spring clip. 

As to using it, for lo/slo I was thinking get egg going before I put fan on.  I normally get it to 250 to 300, and then when spyder and stone go in, it drops temp down to 225 fairly quickly, so I would stick fan on then and let stablize most likely.  Others who have actually used the Auber may be able to help us with more info--maybe better to light egg, stick in stone and spyder, and put fan on first thing.

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    I don't have an Auber but I do use a Stoker sometimes. I usually get the temps close to set point before I slide the fan in the draft door.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    I have one, use it like suggested in previous posts. Start the egg, get it up to 225 or so and then put the fan in. I wait till the smoke smells good and then add food. Really like mine, very stable!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Just looked this up.  I have the Maverick too so this would be a great addition.  Let us know how you like it after you have given it a go.  The reviews I have seen are good.  Does anyone know if this can get wet?  Once of the nice things about the egg is that it can be used in inclement weather.
    Thanks...

Long Island, NY
  • radamo said:
    Just looked this up.  I have the Maverick too so this would be a great addition.  Let us know how you like it after you have given it a go.  The reviews I have seen are good.  Does anyone know if this can get wet?  Once of the nice things about the egg is that it can be used in inclement weather.
    Thanks...

NakedWhiz review of Auber indicated it did not appear to be waterproof--and looking at it, I would agree.  My egg is on covered porch so I am fine.  If unsheltered egg, I would think you could take something like a tupperware container and drill holes for the wires in sides and you would be fine (or ziplock gallon bag if you want to go real old school)
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    I just put it in a zip lock bag. Simple. Here's my review ---- works perfectly for a reasonable price! Had mine over a year and use it lots!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Cool.  Zip lock sounds perfect.  Thanks guys!!!
    Long Island, NY
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited August 2013

@fljoemon sorry I didn't respond to your PM last night. Just logging on for the first time this morning, not usually on at night.

Setup is pretty simple. Open the bottom vent, slide in the included attachment and partially close vent cover to hold it in place. Hold the two metal parts of the spring together and slide it through rectangular hole in the attachment. Close the original vent cover the rest of the way until it is snug up against the fan and you are done.

For using the controller, I light my Egg using a weedburner (use whatever your preferred method is). Once your fire is going, throw in all the accessories you are going to be using whether it be the plate setter or adjustable rig, water pans, grates, etc. Attach the pit probe to the grate, close the dome and place the DFMT on top with the petals barely open (credit card to toothpick width). Plug in your Auber, set your temp and let the pit controller bring you Egg and all the accessories up to temp. If you are using brand new lump, I generally wait 30-45 minutes from lighting before adding meat to allow any VOCs to burn off, but smell the smoke to make sure. If it smells good, you are good.

Word of warning, the Auber does not have a dome open sensor or program that lets it know the lid is open. If I am going to open the dome and mess with it for any amount of time (sometimes I pull everything off and toss in a wood chunk, not that its needed if the lump is loaded correctly, but more out of boredom), unplug  your Auber or pull the fan out. It is going to sense the sudden drop in temp and kick on the fan and it will blow like crazy until the temp comes back. You don't need it doing that when the lid is open. ONce you close the lid, wait 5 or 10 minutes till the Egg automatically recovers from being open and then plug it back in. This isn't necessary, but it prevents a temp spike that will probably result in the fan blowing.

Don't freak out too much about the temps in the beginning of the cook. I find that it can vary widely, ie gets too hot at first, then cools down, but the temp swings will level off and remain constant over time. I used to worry about it, now I just set it, have a few drinks and go to bed. It'll be rock steady when you get up in the morning.

One thing I've never fooled around much with is the alarms. Usually, when I use it, its for an overnighter so I'd be in my room asleep and wouldn't hear it anyway, so I can't help you much there. I only set the temp, couldn't tell you how to adjust high and low alarms.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions, especially if I didn't answer them thoroughly or in a confusing manner.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin--thanks, that is very helpful, especially part about unplugging fan when you open lid (although I try to avoid doing that on lo/slo, nice to know--particularly since I may be trying APLang butt recipe soon, and his does have some lid opening to spritz and foil for a bit too).  I have a maverick remote already, so I will just continue to use that for low temp alarms and meat temps--although sounds like I won't have a problem with fire going too lo with auber in place.
  • Griffin
    I don't mess with mine much, but sometimes if there is audience drinking beverages, I might to make it look like I was working hard preparing the meal. Gotta give the impression that I had something to do with it and its not just the Egg doing its thing. Foiling is another perfect example of when you might unplug it for a minute to get everything done.

Rowlett, Texas

• agriffin--one question--when you unplug it due to lid opening--what do you unplug-the power to the whole control unit? or just unplug the fan cord from the control unit? 
  • Griffin
    Either works. The Auber will keep the temp you program it if it loses power momentarily so that is not a consideration.

Rowlett, Texas

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Really appreciate all the responses. @Griffin .. thank you for all the details. Waiting for it to arrive and will be doing the APL butt recipe first. Will post my experience once I have a low/slow cook done.

Thanks!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Griffin
    Cool. Can't wait to see how the butt comes out and what you think of it.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    On a side note, pit controllers are really great for keeping low temps, like 140, 150, 160ish. For that, I generally light a few chunks of lump outside of the Egg and then toss them in and set the pit controller. Great for smoking sausage, that is home made sausage that includes some type of cure. Do NOT attempt if your sausage does not contain a cure or you are unsure whether it does.

Rowlett, Texas

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    I've had one for about a year and like it. WiFi would be a nice add, though. The components it uses are fairly cheap and fairly cheap to replace. My power supply got intermittent and my T/C pulled out of the clip so I ordered some spares. Got a P/S for $.18 ea. though shipping was several dollars, and, some extra T/Cs for $4-5. I think I have the 6 cfm fan and believe there is one sized a little bigger maybe 9 cfm, which I don't think you would need on a Large unless you want to run temps much over about 350F. I don't use it for temps above 300F or so, the Egg is very stable on it's own there. You CAN use the controller to bring the Egg up to temp but agree and see there is a consensus to bring it up close to the desired temp before turning it on. And yeah, the lid thing is annoying, don't forget to unplug the fan if you going to do more than a quick check. Otherwise, it'll hold temp with a degree or two or three at the most.
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    +1 on Griffins advice on unplugging device when opening dome and wait until temp stabilizes again before plugging in.  Other than that it is a great unit and very easy to use.

Auber also sent me this link on a way to better control temp overshoots.  Don't have a lot of experience with after I made these changes.

Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Griffin
    Thanks for that link. Gonna bookmark it for future use.

Rowlett, Texas