Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Very OT: Benelli SBE II Owners

About to pull the trigger on a Benelli SBE II...unless someone on the forum talks me off the ledge. Any owners with thumbs up/thumbs down? Thanks
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Not even sure what that is... A shotgun?
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Yes. Bird season is approaching and I'm in the mood to upgrade.
  • hapster
    My dad left me a Browning Lightening O/U with Belgian barrels. Not sure I appreciate yet what a finely crafted piece hardware this is yet...
  • Que_n_Brew
    I would agree...with respect.
  • hapster
    It's almost 40 years old and still looks good...
  • Que_n_Brew
    If you get the time,id like to see one of your eggcellent pics of that gun.
  • hapster

If you get the time,id like to see one of your eggcellent pics of that gun.

I'll see what I can do. Have to collect it from Moms house first LOL
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    i have an older monefeltro and love it.  i don't think you can go wrong...your an egg guy after all
  • The SBE II is one of the most reliable semi auto shotgun you will ever shoot.  I've had one for 10 years.  Two years ago I purchased a Browning Maxus.  I liked the feel of the Maxus better.  Half way through the season I went back to old reliable. The me and one of the guys I hunt with both shelved our Maxus and went back to the SBE II.  The Maxus we were having to clean them once or twice a week to keep them shooting.  The SBE II I clean it before the season and after the season ends with no problems.  Now we only go through 2-6 cases in a season.  It's a little more expensive than most but is worth knowing when you pull the trigger it will fire.  Just my opinion I'm sure others has their own. 
    Camden, Tn
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    The SBE is the gun all others are compared to and is really tough to beat. I did buy a versamax a season or two ago and I like it more than I thought I would. Glad to say maybe remington finally decided to make a good shotgun again. What kind of hunting do you mostly do?
    Greensboro, NC
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I had a SBE 1 for a long time. It got stolen out of my truck and I replaced it with a SuperNova (pump). I had never owned a pump and I usually end up hunting duck and hog mostly. 

I have shot several SBE 2 and love them. I'd say go for it. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Que_n_Brew
    Wolfpack said:
    The SBE is the gun all others are compared to and is really tough to beat. I did buy a versamax a season or two ago and I like it more than I thought I would. Glad to say maybe remington finally decided to make a good shotgun again. What kind of hunting do you mostly do?

It has come down to the SBE II or the VersaMax. I think both are great guns and agree with you that Remington finally got it right. I hunt dove and duck mostly.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Que - I've run everything over the last 20 years. For the last 15 years I've put 60 to 80 days in hunting the filthiest goose pits and layout blinds you can imagine. Always come back to the Nelli. Started with and old SBE, switched to Browning Gold, switched to Berett, but have always had at least one Benelli around and it has been flawless when I've not let it get too filthy. I've been running an M2 the last 4 years and love it, just recently picked up an SBE 2 for a song off of gun broker so that will be my new go to - a little easier to clean then the M2.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Have shot one before and liked it, I have a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon 20 Gauge and a Beretta 303 12 Gauge.

Wife says "NO MORE GUNS"

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

@Tuttle871 two guns and the wife says no more? For shame.

My wife bought me my first gun, a shotgun. Told me not to get ideas about buying a ton of guns, now I've got four and wanting more.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    I have an SBE II.  2 years ago I purchased a Super Vinci and gave my SBE II to my son.  The SBE II is a great gun and I never had any problems with it but I prefer how the Super Vinci fits and the ease of taking down the gun for cleaning.   
    XL BGE
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    It's a beautiful gun in my opinion, and I like inertia drive mechanisms.  I would be sure to shoulder it a couple times.  A well fitting gun will be much more more comfortable to shoot.  I would also recommend the Super Vinci because of the modular assembly.  You can change stocks for different applications etc .. not that I think you really need a pistol grip to take down a turkey, but it's a fun option. It is also easy to adjust LOP.  If I recall correctly, the Super Vinci has a larger trigger guard and safety if you are doing a lot of shooting with gloves that matters.

If that line is uncomfortable to you - I'd look at the new Browning A5 which is also inertia driven.

All that research and I wound up buying an O/U ... .go figure...
  • rhodges
    rhodges Posts: 17
    I know i'm in the minority here but i absolutely hate the SBE. My uncle bought one and couldnt hunt one season due to shoulder problems and lent it to me. I hunted it one time in flooded timber and another at the coast. My feeling is it's just too fast. I wasted way more shells than normal, was not anymore or any less accurate, just shot more because its so fast. Functionally its great never jammed. I just prefer pump action shotguns.
  • Ewelch04
    Ewelch04 Posts: 49
    I own a SBE 2 and a browning maxus, personally I like the the browning better. Both are really good guns, but the browning sets up to me better and the action seems a lot smoother. I have never had the browning jam, and I use them both for duck hunting. My SBE jams often. Just my opinion, I don't think you can go wrong with either.
    Bluffton, SC LBGE, SBGE, Thermapen
  • brass
    brass Posts: 6
    finally something i feel like i can weigh in on. 

If you can afford it, get it, will be the last shotgun you will ever need. Unless of course you are like me and collect shot guns.

I have had mine almost 10 years, the initial break in period as with all guns is somewhere between 1-2 cases, my general consensus after speaking to numerous gun smiths, after that period my gun has had no trouble what so every cycling super light 2 3/4 all the way up to the goose slaying 3.5 inch shells, i have swayed to using nothing but federal shells for my steel shot but whatever for lead. (break it in with lead if you can much cheaper)

I just the gun as it was intended and i started off cleaning it after every hunt, wiping it down during the hunts etc etc but now if it gets cleaned right after the season i am surprised.

i can go on and on but bottom line if you can afford it and it feels right to you when you shoulder it, then buy it, also i have noticed no difference in the american (none comfortech stock) and the original sbe2
  • Que_n_Brew
    Thanks for all the feedback. I have shot the SBE II and loved the feel. Although I hear great things about the Vinci, I can't get past the look (chocolate vs vanilla I guess). I also love the look of a nice O/U but can't hit the side of a barn with one. I took the plunge today. Bass Pro has a great special going on that I just couldn't pass up (saved $285!). Can't wait to break it in before dove season (-6 days!!!)
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Congratulations!! Enjoy it!
  • If it's a gun, and you want it and you can still put food on the egg, please, buy it.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • Congrats! The benelli is a phenomenal gun. It comes with 5 choke options and 3 stock adjustment spacers. You're going to love it. Psyched for you.
  • Que_n_Brew
    Thanks @phoenix007. Btw...nice pic with Myron.
  • meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    Bought 20 ga monte 4 yrs ago steugled getting used to light weight wife started hunting last year switched it to left hand safety for her so I'm back to 11-87 or o/u but eyeing a much better o/u or Vinci or another egg leave for Canada in 6 weeks hunting so I think I best hold off
  • Spaightlabs
    Thanks for all the feedback. I have shot the SBE II and loved the feel. Although I hear great things about the Vinci, I can't get past the look (chocolate vs vanilla I guess). I also love the look of a nice O/U but can't hit the side of a barn with one. I took the plunge today. Bass Pro has a great special going on that I just couldn't pass up (saved $285!). Can't wait to break it in before dove season (-6 days!!!)
    Congrats - another family joined! If you are gonna run dove loads in her you best run hot, high brass loads. I don't think she will cycle low brass light loads very reliably, especially not new. I run a Wolff Extra strong spring in mine so 2.75s won't cycle no way, no how.
  • Spaightlabs
    Meat73 - where ya heading? We run up to the Quills or North Battleford every October....
  • Que_n_Brew
    Congrats - another family joined! If you are gonna run dove loads in her you best run hot, high brass loads. I don't think she will cycle low brass light loads very reliably, especially not new. I run a Wolff Extra strong spring in mine so 2.75s won't cycle no way, no how.

Totally agree. Already bought the high brass heavy loads. Gonna try to pt several boxes through it next weekend.
  • Spaightlabs
    For best break in go launch a box of 3.5 mag loads through it or a few boxes of 3 inches. Take the 2.75s along so you can try em out. If they fire reliable you are good to go.