Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Best Pork Chop I've ever had..........

The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,310
edited August 2013 in Pork
We found a sweet deal on chops so we bought a ton of them, vac sealed, and froze most. What we didn't freeze, we brined (salt, sugar, water) for 4 hours, allowed to air dry then reverse seared.

After the brine, we allowed to air dry until sticky and seasoned with Tsunami Spin. Then I smoked them over apple indirect at 275 until 125 internal. (I had the spider and cast iron in under the AR). I pulled them at 125, pulled the rig and let the temp come up to 600 (2 minutes).  I glazed the chops with stone ground mustard and organic honey from the guy who took the 10,000 bees out of my wall a few months ago. Start with 2 parts honey to 1 part mustard and adjust until first taste is sweet and finish is mustard. 

After the glaze, I seared on the spider/cast iron for about a minute per side brushing with the honey mustard glaze.

Not only was it as good as any chop I've had, it was as good as any steak I've ever had.

TFJ made an awesome sweet/savory tart to go along with it. It was a biscuit crust with butter and rosemary topped with apples and cheese (I'll let her chime in on the recipe. It was really good). 

Finally, we topped the chops with a tarragon mustard cream (super easy and awesome on pork and chicken). 

Soooooooo......here's the proof:- the full plated pic with the tarragon mustard sauce sucked arse. here are the 2 "good" pics I got:

imageimage

·

Comments

• TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    I just ate and now after I see this I'm starving.
    That looks awesome and now I know what's for dinner this week.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • EggNorthEggNorth Posts: 487
    Very nice!  Apples and cheese ... never tried that but sounds great.
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    LBGE (2010)
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Damn that chop looks good.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • Looks amazing
    LBGE- Atlanta, LBGE and SBGE- Ellijay, GA
    ·
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,310
    edited August 2013
    EggNorth said:

think of it it as a cheese tray with apples (very common to serve apples with cheese together cold or room temp) but served hot in a rosemary butter biscuit (not very common but that is how it was sold to me....and damnit, she was right.......again. ). 8-|

·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,425
    Damn!!! Great looking cook!!!
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,047
    I am busting my butt with the City tonight and you guys are cooking that. I best get some brisket this time in Salado.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,197
    I love best ever posts. Great looking.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • SaltySamSaltySam Posts: 381

I never thought about brining a pork chop.  Just goes to show me how much I still have left to learn. 

I did, however, know about the whole cheese and apple combo though!  My grandmother used to make scratch apple pie, and would serve it with freshly shredded cheddar.  Looks strange, tastes wonderful.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,246
    I love beef but I agree with you, a well cooked pork chop is just as good as a steak to me.   Reverse sear is one of my favorite ways to do that, excellent cook, Centex!
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,569
    I have been trying to figure out a good pork chop recipe but never thought to reverse sear them. This is bookmarked for sure. Thank you for posting we eat a lot of pork chops.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • EggNorth said:

think of it it as a cheese tray with apples (very common to serve apples with cheese together cold or room temp) but served hot in a rosemary butter biscuit (not very common but that is how it was sold to me....and damnit, she was right.......again. ). 8-|
    Nothing beats a slice of warm apple pie with a big hunk of melted cheddar cheese on top!  :P
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    My wife makes a salad with baby spinach, sliced Granny Smith apples, chunks of cheddar cheese, and toasted pecans with a dressing of equal parts olive oil, balsamic and maple syrup.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    That looks great. Glad to hear you got those bees taken care and are in the hands of a keeper with what's going on with bees these days.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,120
    Brined and reverse sear bone in pork chop. One of my favorites, also.
    porkchops.jpg 178.9K
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • Big RaguBig Ragu Posts: 146
    damn cen tex  im going to scrap dinner plans tonight and make thezse
    ·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,330
    That's just beautiful!! Nice cook mang.
    Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,120
    @Nature Boy  Chris I forgot to mention that I used Raging River as a rub. :))
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,470
    Very nice. On the to do list for this weekend. 
    Always cooked the pork version of a "Cowboy Rib eye" as a roast like prime rib - rack of pork, never done them as chops. Chops have always been bone in, pork version of a T-bone/Porterhouse (double loin?) or cut from a full boneless pork loin. 
    Thanks for the inspiration. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    Very nice - definitely on my TO-DO list.
    Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • Mickey said:
    I am busting my butt with the City tonight and you guys are cooking that. I best get some brisket this time in Salado.
    I'll bring a few.

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,502
    Mickey said:
    I'll bring a few.

Think I can FTC one for the plane ride home? I want to spread the CT gospel. 
    ·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    This is now on the been there done that list. Fantastic. Your right, takes a chop to a new level.
    Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • Cen-tex, can you send the recipe for the apple/cheese thing?
    ·
  • Cen-tex, can you send the recipe for the apple/cheese thing?

I just did here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1156602/savory-apple-tart?new=1

·
  • Thanks.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,607
    Damn dude - this sounds fantastic! Bookmarked.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • nice write up on your work flow!  Sounds awesome, gonna try this!

The galette looks like something that would come out of our kitchen for sure!  Yum!

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
    ·
  • What were your brine ratios
    ·
  • gallon water
    cup kosher
    1/2 cup sugar

·