Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

My silliest project ever!

GogogordyGogogordy Posts: 460
edited August 2013 in Off Topic
Fishlessman posted a picture of his Hachi, a one burger sized hibachi. That got me thinking, and rather than spring for $69.95 on Ebay for one, I built my own....I call it "Vespachi" and read on to find out why.

I picked up a 5" Terra Cotta pot, and matching dish at Home Depot (.78 and .77 respectively) and drilled a matching hole to match the drain hole in the pot, along with some vents to allow air up and in. Also drilled an auxiliary air hole in the pot. 

I hand formed some sheet steel into a firebox of sorts. 

(Here's where the name comes from) I had on old chromed steel headlight ring from a 1973 Vespa I once owned, with JUST the right amount of rust and dings.

I had a small grate thingy that came with our rice maker and has been cluttering up our junk drawer for moons. Attached it to the headlight ring.

Lit, tested, and roasted some afternoon marshmallows. All is well. 

Vespachi lives!

Guess I know where to use my lump fines and shake now.

...I need to get a life!

When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
·

Comments

• AquacopAquacop Posts: 468
    Not sure I agree with your statement, maybe the lazy folks looking at your initiative should step it up, impressive! I wish I had your creativity.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
    ·
  • StlScottStlScott Posts: 77
    Very cool!
    ·
  • GogogordyGogogordy Posts: 460
    Thanks for the props. 

Will try some Rumaki* or Angels on Horseback* on there this weekend while our BGE does it's thing on a much larger scale.

*And beer
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,589
    When Village Idiot finds out you ruined a Vespa part... He's gonna be outta here. =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • GogogordyGogogordy Posts: 460
    "Re-purposed" 

I've been schlepping that mofo around since like '96!

·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,453
    Just finished SERE 100 survival training.  They showed how to cook meat over a candle.  You've got an XL compared to that.

Great post.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,472
    Total cool idea
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273

that is excellent.   Wife has a tiny hibachi about that size for making smores inside the house.   I think she paid 30+ on amazon for it.

Yours looks better.

Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,146
    Awesome. The air gap with the plate and the "paver" is a very safe arrangement, no fears when you finish the table - you are building a table, right?
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,982
    Pretty cool. Kinda reminds me of that terra cotta smoker Alton Brown built on Good Eats. Not you just need to get another pot, invert it and you got a Vespachi smoker.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,303
    some ideas for your little grill

·