Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and Burnt Ends Question

Options
yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
I was watchin Aaron Franklin's brisket video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU) and I was reading about burn ends on Playing With Fire and Smoke (http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/07/beef-burnt-ends.html) and I'm not really sue about this burnt ends thing. Franklin is just slicing a tiny sliver of the point and says "that's where the burnt ends come from" but it seems like a really really small piece. PWF&S makes it seem to be the entire point including the flat portion by it. Any clarifications here?
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I use most of the point (no flat) and cut it into 1/2" or so square cubes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Thanks @TexanOfTheNorth. Are you removing the point when the flat is done and putting it back on for a few hours and THEN cube it and put it back on with some sauce? Or are you separating them, cubing point, and putting them back on cubed with some sauce?
    Dunedin, FL
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Yes, I separate the point from the flat when I pull it off the egg. FTC the flat and cube the point. I put the cubed point into a disposable aluminum pan and sauce them and put them back out on the egg (same temp and setup as for the brisket cook). I think that the last time I did them it was another 2 hours. I believe I've seen where some go up to 3.

I usually eat a few with my sliced brisket and then "snack" on them for the next week!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

I use most of the point (no flat) and cut it into 1/2" or so square cubes.

This.. I get plenty of burnt ends from the point. You can tell by texture the point vs flat when slicing.
    Seattle, WA
  • yzzi
    Options
    Thanks for your help guys.

Pasting this thread in here for my own reference: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1234455/#Comment_1234455

Good read by the way.
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi
    Options
    Well I trimmed up the brisket tonight and I'm already thinking it's going to be a flop. Not impressed with GFS: barely any marbalization, already looked stringy, and the point is pretty pathetic looking compared to ones I've seen on videos. Guess I'll try sam's next time. We'll see how it goes. I have a feeling I should wrap this guy even though I really wanted to try and avoid that. $30 down the drain probably, oh well.
    Dunedin, FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    yzzi said:
    Well I trimmed up the brisket tonight and I'm already thinking it's going to be a flop. Not impressed with GFS: barely any marbalization, already looked stringy, and the point is pretty pathetic looking compared to ones I've seen on videos. Guess I'll try sam's next time. We'll see how it goes. I have a feeling I should wrap this guy even though I really wanted to try and avoid that. $30 down the drain probably, oh well.
    pics? I bet you are fine. They all look like an old shoe when you buy them and even worse when they are ready to slice. That's when you know it's good. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • yzzi
    Options
    I didn't have my phone with me, but I'll take some tomorrow when I rub it up.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    Someone on this forum advised to always buy the best cut possible for brisket.
    Also if it is aged it is better.
    I am still learning about cuts of meat so I rely on the butcher to point me in the right direction. It is a bit more expensive, but the end result is always worth it. Nothing worse than spending time cooking on the Egg and the meal is horrid.
    Best of luck tomorrow on your brisket - hope it exceeds expectation and is magic!
  • yzzi
    Options
    Yeah, it's just hard to find a packer here for some reason. There's a couple places that I know of, and I decided to try this one. We'll see.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    It will be fine. One thing I found that is great is injecting with beef broth mixed with a bit of the rub - makes a huge difference with moisture. Try this and it may turn things around for you.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I made a shepherds pie with a brisket that I had left over. Stew it up in some broth for your filling and she get super tender. Ill never make shepherds pie with ground beef again.
  • yzzi
    Options
    Here's pics of the brisket cen-tex. I goofed on that bald patch of missing fat. Not sure how I did trimming wise, but I tried to remember best I could from Aaron franklin's video.
    Dunedin, FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    its perfect
  • yzzi
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Just pulled the flat. Probe slide in like butter except for the edge of the flat--sandwiches I except. I pulled the point off and am really thinking this will be a great brisket.

I cubed up the point, sprinkled some cow lick on it and smothered in sweet baby rays, put in a skillet and it's back in the egg. Ate a couple cubes along the way. They were fantastic.

A pre-thanks to you guys passing down advice to a brisket noob. I love brisket and there's no really good place around me anymore to get some, so I hope this turned out good. More pics to come!
    Dunedin, FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Rounding third headed for the home-run!  gotta be a winner-enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • yzzi
    Options
    Well, verdict in. The flat was dry. The part near the point was nice and moist. It all tasted fantastic with just the salt pepper and oak. Not bad for a first. Thanks @tjv, loved the ar, glad I got that. @cen-tex-smoker and @texanofthenorth. Any ideas for a moist flat? I'll try fat cap up next time. Burnt ends were amazing by the way.

Burnt ends

Grilled butternut squash

Guest of honor
    imageimageimage
    Dunedin, FL
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    I'm no brisket guru, but one suggestion for making it seem more tender and less dry is to slice it thinner.  It's a little bit of a pain, but when you do that it pulls apart more easily and chews like a more tender piece of meat so the "dry" isn't as noticeable.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^this .those flat slices are too thick.
  • yzzi
    Options
    But I followed pencil width guide:

I'll go thinner next time.
    Dunedin, FL