Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too ambitious? 13.5lb brisket.

Trini_in_Ottawa
Trini_in_Ottawa Posts: 231
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
After my last brisket, passed at local butcher and got a massive 13.5 brisket, marbled and HUGE.
Only when I started seasoning the bad boy did I realise how massive it was.
Hopefully it can fit on my LBGE - the last one barely fit.
Going to start cooking it around 11PM on Friday night to be ready for 6PM Saturday evening. I am assuming this will give me enough time to ftc for a couple hours.

Say hello to my little baby!

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I have a 10 pounder to join yours Friday. Good luck with it!
    Dunedin, FL
  • You too!
    I LOVE brisket, and by association, so will my friends :)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Use a rib rack to lift it a little..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I fit a 15 pounder on the large. See my avatar. I had to get creative and use an inverted turkey rack to make it fit.

Garnerville, NY
  • Wicked ideas guys! Thanks much.
    *rubs hands in anticipation*
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Remember, lots of pics fella's!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• I've done up to 18lbs on my large. Just "accordion" it if it does not fit. Just kind of smush it all together  and it will shrink down during the cook to fit very nicely. You can easily fit that on your large.

Worst case scenario if you ever get a huge one (which I shy away from in general- I like 9-11ish pounds) just cut the thinnest part of the flat off and grind it for burgers or chili. It's going to dry out anyway so may as well get some use out of it.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I've done up to 18lbs on my large. Just "accordion" it if it does not fit. Just kind of smush it all together  and it will shrink down during the cook to fit very nicely. You can easily fit that on your large.

Worst case scenario if you ever get a huge one (which I shy away from in general- I like 9-11ish pounds) just cut the thinnest part of the flat off and grind it for burgers or chili. It's going to dry out anyway so may as well get some use out of it.

Good call also - I will measure tomorrow night before doing dinner (Tbone steaks and wine)
    :)
    I will see what fits best on Eggn the point is massive on this brisket, so it may be best to cut and put over a rack.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    What time is dinner tomorrow? I'll bring some bottles of my homemade Chilean wine.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq said:

What time is dinner tomorrow? I'll bring some bottles of my homemade Chilean wine.

Haha - dinner is for 2 tomorrow night, but you are more than welcome to come over on Saturday for brisket, bbq jerk chicken, coconut rice and peas and tons of alcohol.
    Arrive anytime after 6.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    You putting this baby on the egg pretty soon?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Good call also - I will measure tomorrow night before doing dinner (Tbone steaks and wine)
    I will see what fits best on Eggn the point is massive on this brisket, so it may be best to cut and put over a rack.
    You won't need to cut it. Don't measure it. Just stuff it in there. I do it almost every week.
  • You putting this baby on the egg pretty soon?

Thinking I may have to bump the time to around 8PM Friday to have enough lead time for 6PM party.

You won't need to cut it. Don't measure it. Just stuff it in there. I do it almost every week.
    Ok - did not want to really cut it, since I don't make my own burgers as yet.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The possible double entendres in this thread are glorious.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    You can always FTC it if it finishes earlier than expected. Sea salt, course ground black pepper, and oak for smoke and you should wind up in brisket happy land
  • What a bloody roller coaster ride!
    Put the massive brisket on around 9:30PM, set Maverick meat probe to alarm at 170, so I can foil. That happens at around 1AM - a bit early - no problem.
    Put in foil pan with beef broth and red wine, seal with foil and put back on - set alarm for 200.
    At 4:30 alarm goes off! 200!?
    Take it out of foil pan, put back on grill, but move probe (figured it was not in meatest part of point) temp drops to 187.
    6:30AM temp is 183...?
    Went and checked bge and everything looks good, temp is still @ 230 @ grill and there is lump, water in drip pan, so leaving it as is - not concerned as yet, but is it normal for meat temp to drop and stay down for so long?
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Yes...
    It's called the "stall"... No problem, just wait it out :)
  • hapster said:

Yes...
    It's called the "stall"... No problem, just wait it out :)

Thanks hapster - silly question, because I am a paronoid newbie - will it dry out during the stall? Should I put back in foil pan with some broth?
  • yzzi
    This is where the magic happens. It's when evaporation cools the meat and stalls it for a while while fat and what not renders down.
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi said:

This is where the magic happens. It's when evaporation cools the meat and stalls it for a while while fat and what not renders down.

Ahh! :)
    Perfect - heading back to bed and going to forget about it.
    Thanks for the assurance.
  • yzzi
    Here's a link to read when you wake up: http://www.genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/stallbbq.html
    Dunedin, FL
  • YEMTrey
    edited August 2013
    I'm thinking the probe wasn't in a good spot as well.  Never seen the temp drop from 200 to 183 over two hours as result of a stall.  I don't  think you're initial 170 reading was right.  At that point I would have moved the probe to another section and thermapen'd it in a couple of sections to confirm.

All a learning experience though.  Your brisket is fine, no harm.  Now, get outside and enjoy the smell of the rest of the cook with an adult beverage in hand.

Oh yeah, and post some pics please!
    Steve 

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I'd suggest that you put the probe in the thickest part of the flat instead of the point. Focus on getting the flat to probe tender. The point has enough fat to be fine without a dedicated probe (if you want just stick it with the Thermapen when you need to).
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Thanks for all the help and guidance guys.
    Which leads to my actual state -
    Series of weird and unfortunate events - probably because I moved probe to the point instead of thickest part of flat - temp was at 183 for a while - so I went to sleep thinking it was the stall. Got up around 10ish and it was down to 169, checked Egg and temp was just below 200, charcoals were on last legs (only about 13 hours??), so I removed and ftc, since it looked cooked, flat was easily coming apart from point - the internal temp was 180 on flat.
    So we will see how it tastes in a few hours.
    Definately more difficult cooks I have done.

Out of Egg before ftc
  • just saw this- That brisket is not ready. You were in the stall or just coming out of it. that thing is going to be tougher than $2 steak if you don't finish it.
  • I put it back on the grill till 201 internal temp covered in foil pan with broth to ensure it did not dry out, then ftc.
    Thanks again.
  • I put it back on the grill till 201 internal temp covered in foil pan with broth to ensure it did not dry out, then ftc. Thanks again.

there you go.
  • YEMTrey
    Results?
    Steve 

• YEMTrey said:

Results?

Rough night / morning....
    The brisket turned out pretty good, it was ftced till 7PM and was still hot when I was cutting it.
    Everyone went for 2nds :)

Final product.