Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef tenderloin with an APL twist (pixs)

U_tarded
U_tarded Posts: 2,042
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
The family has been eating better the last few months so I had a hankering for some red meat. Steak it was but I went to the closet grocery store and they had no good looking steaks but they did have "organic" grass fed tenderloins at a decent price. I was gonna cut a few filets but this was only about 2 pounds of meat to begin with. I got the egg running and tossed in some plum chunks (besides oak it is my favorite on beef especially if we are having wine). Rubbed it down with a light dusting of John Henry steakhouse rub and a second light coating of kosher salt. Stabilized the egg at about 200* dome and tossed it on indirect. About 2 hrs later it hit 115 i.t. Pulled it tented loosely with foil and removed the plate setter. Let the egg open up to 650* dome and seared it 60 sec a side while giving it cross hatches. It came out to a perfect 125* it before the rest. The APL twist was his basic board sauce with 2 cloves garlic added. After the sear I put half the sauce on the board and the other half I drizzled over the top. Loosely tented for 10 mins the sliced. It was served with Gnarly Head old vine zin (2008) and some steamed garlic and roasted red potatoes. I topped my steak with some blue cheese crumbles. Finally here are the pics.

Post roast period

Searing on the cast iron

The board sauce

Rest with board sauce

Sliced image

Plated

imageimage

Comments